Best Edger??

Discussion in 'Starting a Lawn Care Business' started by DFed913, May 21, 2006.

1. DFed913

DFed913 LawnSite Member
    from KC, MO

Looking at getting an edger...what are your thoughts on brands, price, etc?
  2. Proscapez LLC

Proscapez LLC LawnSite Member

I have a Mclane commercial 901-3.5I/P 4-wheel, It's about 10 years old and still starts on the first pull every time.
    It's great for new edging jobs, But for week to week my Echo stick is much easyier to deal with.
    I have been thinking about selling the mclane, But I havent been offered enough for it yet.
  3. jameson

jameson LawnSite Fanatic
    from PNW

Bah...Edger Smedger!

Get an Edgit! I have 2 PowerTrim wb's that have been sitting in the shop for almost a year. I heeded the advise of lots o' folk on this forum and purchased an Edgit attachment for my Echo trimmer (may even get one for the Redmax as well!) last year. Best purchase I made in a long time. You can't beat an Edgit for regular maintenance.

Whether YOU are looking for a walkbehind, stick or a EDGIT, I cannot say...get what you need to make you MONEY!

I have NO experience w/stick edgers, but if you are looking for a walkbehind - the PowerTrim is a nice little unit. BTW never ever purchase a wb edger w/4 wheels they are useless and have home-owner written all over them! - 3 wheeled ones will carve out any edge configuration with ease!

PS- I still use my wb edgers for lawn renovations, landscape work etc...
  4. johnap104

johnap104 LawnSite Member

I would appreciate any suggestion on what brand or model of lawn edger to purchase? I would like a gas walk behind. Does it make a difference if it has 3 wheels or 4?

5. Proscapez LLC

Proscapez LLC LawnSite Member

Mclane is the orginal name in walk behind edgers.
    The 4 wheel is nice because in a instant you can make it a 3 wheel to either side, and they have some sweet options like curb wheels.
    They are built to last. check them out at there website.

I perfer my I/P but some like the honda model.
    They are real commercial units
    But they arent cheap you have to pay for a mclane.
  6. DFed913

DFed913 LawnSite Member
    from KC, MO

Thank you all for your opinions...and us something to go on.

Have a great and safe Memorial Day weekend!
  7. lawnspecialties

lawnspecialties LawnSite Silver Member

I'm a little confused. Are we talking bed edger, stick edger, or walk behind edger?
  8. lawnmaniac883

lawnmaniac883 LawnSite Silver Member

Tanaka TLE-600...oh yeah!
  9. lawnboy dan

lawnboy dan LawnSite Gold Member

powertrim is better than mclane but i dont know if still made