1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Best engine and Pump for spraying lawns

Discussion in 'Pesticide & Herbicide Application' started by J Hisch, Jan 8, 2006.

1. J Hisch

J Hisch LawnSite Senior Member

Looking for a new pump and engine, I was thinking a honda 5.5 Hp and I am not sure of the pump to use. Any advise? Also what type of shaft does the engine need to drive the pump?
  2. Grassmechanic

Grassmechanic LawnSite Silver Member

Honda is a good choice. I prefer Hypro pumps (very easy to maintain) and have more than enough pressure and flow for lawn apps. You'll need a gear reduction between the engine and the pump.
  3. Ric

Ric LawnSite Fanatic

A few factors go into deciding want might be the best set up for a pump and motor. Calibration and by pass agitation being the biggest factor. The bigger the tank the more by pass agitation is needed. Products being sprayed on a regular basic also must be accounted for. Some products require more agitation than others. Having enough agitation can make or break your application. In either building or buying a sprayer I always pay great attention to the agitation of the tank in proportion to the tank size.

But the simple answer is the D 30 Hypro pump, which is the most common used with a 5 hp engine. BTW Power Train is a gas engine made in Korea and is the same engine as a Honda made with the patented part and are totally interchangeable at a great cost savings.

Two Popular ways to connect a pump to the motor are Belt drive and Gear drive. Hypro has two model D 30 Pumps for that very reason. Gear drive are more expensive to buy but less trouble to maintain. I believe in all cases you will find a cost saving in purchasing a total engine pump unit over buying them separate.
  4. J Hisch

J Hisch LawnSite Senior Member

Ric, I have a 200 gallon Tank, I am switching from 12 DC to Gas, So you are saying I can buy the pump and motor all already connected? if so where? Also where can I find at engine that's interchangeable with Honda's. I am glad you replied to this thread I have alway's felt you give great advise.
  5. indyturf

indyturf LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Indy

I have had good luck with the hypro d30. check out rittenhouse.com . I got my last pump from them and saved over $200. compaired to lesco. I also used the honda clone engine and had great results. you can get them on ebay for around $150 including shipping. at that price unbeatable
  6. Ric

Ric LawnSite Fanatic

Sorry I don't know where you can buy pumps in your area. But with all that corn grown in your area there has got to be a Agriculture Pump suppliers in your area.

There are 4 basic types of Pumps. 1. Roller Ball 2. Piston 3. Diaphragm 4. Centrifuge. Piston and Diaphragm are the easiest to rebuild and Diaphragm pumps are easy enough for a child to rebuild. Each type of pump has it's advantage and dis advantage. Diaphragms will build the most pressure per Hp of energy. Centrifuge will produce the most volume per Hp of energy. Cost wise Roller ball pumps will be the least expensive.

If I remember correctly D 30 Hypro is 9.5 GPM and will go 600 psi. I hope you don't spray over 50 PSI on a lawn and 100 for reaching the tops of trees. It is one of the most popular pumps for pesticide spraying. I found that a 200 gallon tank needed multiply directional agitation jets to get good agitation and from my own perspective feel a 200 gallon tank needs a bigger pump that the D 30. I would rather have a D 50 the big brother to the D 30. But I am the exception and most manufactures use a D 30 on 200 and less tanks.

But everything I have said about Agitation depends on whether you are mixing a suspension or a solution. Unless I know exactly what you are spraying and at what rate I really can't help you much more. If you have been using a 12v pump then a small Roller ball pump just might be a big up grade for you. I like to over build systems like this in case I need the extra power
  7. teeca

teeca LawnSite Bronze Member

8. 6'7 330

6'7 330 LawnSite Bronze Member

I agree with ric, the hypro D30 is a well built pump,but xpensive.IMO the D30 is the top of the line.
  9. Ric

Ric LawnSite Fanatic

There is nothing wrong with D -30 Hypro that is for sure, But Hydra-Cell and Beam are much better pumps when you get any bigger than 10 gallons per minute. Of course cost is according. However on Northern cool season turf the D 30 should be enough volume on a 200 gallon or less tank to fill most needs. Here in the south with our insect pressure, 10 gallons per thousand can be a realist application for Fleas & Ticks. Termite pre-treats are 100 gallons per thousand and very large pumps are used. BTW a Hydra-Cell H-25 can go for $ 4,000 without a motor and that is what runs off my PTO. It is old now but still works fine.

10. 6'7 330

6'7 330 LawnSite Bronze Member

I agree, but for our needs,which basically involves spraying weed killer, the D-30 is among the top of the line choices.And The D-30 isn't actually bargain basement in price. Put I do agree when your needs are in the 10 gallons per 1000 sq. feet ,there are better choices in pumps.