1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

best engine choice for a 21"

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by RLS24, Sep 10, 2008.

1. RLS24

RLS24 LawnSite Bronze Member

Well, I recently picked up a used Ransomes 21" for trimming. After using it for only a few days, the motor went. I am going to replace the motor because I really like the machine and everything else on it is in excellent shape.

Now as far as motor choices go, I'm not really sure where to go. I don;t want to spend a fortune because I only use the mower sparingly, so cheap is good.
    I was thinking of either a new Briggs (for about $170) or a slightly used Honda or Kaw. any other input?
  2. mtwcutt

mtwcutt LawnSite Member
    from OKC, OK

I would probably buy the same model-brand engine if you can find one that will bolt readily to the existing holes. Save the headaches. If they all will work get a Honda.
  3. Okiebug003

Okiebug003 LawnSite Member

Honda's been rock solid for me
  4. All_Toro_4ME

All_Toro_4ME LawnSite Bronze Member

Briggs should be fine for your needs. Avoid the tecumseh engine if you can.
  5. jkason

jkason LawnSite Senior Member

Briggs is just that - cheap.
    If you want a quality engine, go with either the Honda (GX series, not the GS), or the Kawasaki FJ180.
    Good luck finding one used, though. No one is going to give one up until it's dead.
  6. greaseyknight

greaseyknight LawnSite Member

A $170 briggs...that will get you the cheapest junk out there
    The new cheap one are even worse than the older ones
    but if you only use it occasionally it might work, that is until you have to buy another engine :)

Go for a Honda... I keep seeing yardmans and MTDs on craigslist with Honda motors on them for less then $170
    Might want to check how much work it will be to convert
    On a side note, the Black honda motors are the lower grade ones... thats why they are on crummey decks like the MTD's. The Red ones are the high quality. but I still think any honda motor is better than a bottum of the barrel Briggs
  7. MJS

MJS LawnSite Bronze Member

Yep, Honda or Kawasaki - I wouldn't even mess with another Briggs, unless that's all you can find. But yeah, it's gonna be hard to find a good used engine (like a Kaw), because nobody wants to get rid of them.