Best engine for 60" Super Z

Discussion in 'Hustler Turf Equip (Archived)' started by cward76, Sep 7, 2005.

1. cward76

cward76 LawnSite Member

I demoed a Super Z 60/25 and a 52/20 yesterday. The dealer drove 50 miles in one direction for me to demo these mowers. The SZ is my choice. However when I asked him about the Kohler 28hp EFI engine, he said that he would stay away from the EFI and liquid cooled engines " too many parts to fail". He said that air cooled is the way to go. He also said that he thought the 25hp kaw. was plenty big enough for the 60" deck. I would like to hear from all you guys that use these engines and who have 60" decks. How will these engines hold up after the warranty is gone.(150-200 hours per year) Please help me make a decision on a engine for my Super Z.
    Thank Cheyenne

After mowing my yard, I talked my parents into trying the demos out on their lawn. They are going to the bank today. Seems I may have sold my first Fast-Track and I don't even have my Super Z yet.
  2. Travis Followell

Travis Followell LawnSite Silver Member
    from KY

Go with the 27 hp Kohler. More power for about the same price as the 25 kawasaki.
  3. Cutter LLC

Cutter LLC LawnSite Member
    from Indiana

I have a super mini z 52/25 kawi air cooled. 25 would be okay but I would love to have that super z with the 28 efi especially since the warranty would cover you for a while. Sounds like the dealer wants to get rid of his demo IMO. Get the efi and be happy good luck and I'm jealous.
  4. P&J Lawncare

P&J Lawncare LawnSite Senior Member

I have had 2 27 kohlers with 2000 hours each, I sold them last year so that I could get 2 28 efi super z's because of the fuel savings. Both of my 28 efi's have over 800 hours on them with no problems so far. The 28 efi's are by far the best motor for us commercial guys because of the fuel savings (I use about 30 percent less gas with the efi's). I had one 25 kaw 4 years ago and it had some problems so I switched to kohler.
  5. valleylawn79

valleylawn79 LawnSite Member

a lot of people just are not trined in fuel injection. i wish now i would have bought it. i dont like water cooled because i always have to clean the screen in front of the radiator . the 25 kaw and the 27 kohler have about the same torque rating almost. the parts seem to be a little cheaper on the kohler. i hope hustler comes out with a air cooled 30 hp soon as some of the others have put on their units
  6. puppypaws

puppypaws LawnSite Fanatic

I have had 2 27hp Kohler engines on 60" Super Z's in the last two years and they have been excellent on both mowers. I mow only my personal property and I have put 111 hrs on a new Super Z in the past 7 weeks so you can tell I really put them through their paces. I really considered the 28 efi and I know that it is a great engine but I pressure wash my mower about once a week. Chad Whitley is my dealer and also a close personal freind of mine, he told me he had sold close to 500 Hustler mowers this year and the 27 Kohler had given the least amount of problems. He said the 28 efi was also excellent and that he thought I would be better suited to the 27 because the electronics on the 28 did not like the amount of water I use when I pressure wash my mower. I would say if you want the fuel economy and less throttle lag you should go with the 28 efi but it will cost you about a thousand dollars more. I could not be any more satisfied than I am with my 27 Kohler because it is not affected by anything I do or use it for and I have also had a 25 Kawasaki on a 60" Super Z that I was not impressed by.
  7. Mickhippy

Mickhippy LawnSite Platinum Member

I am so totally new to having a SZ 60/28efi its not funny (about 17hrs on the clock) but, I would not want anything less that what I have! In fact, I want more! :waving: 30hp efi! hehe or a 28 kubota diesel! (are you listening Pj?) hehe

Cutting thick Bermuda going up hill really bogs it and have to slow (suit conditions etc) to suit! I would think a straight 27hp would be worse!
  8. loborojo338

loborojo338 LawnSite Member

I have the 28efi and it is great. It will make up the price difference in fuel savings. payup
  9. JLH

JLH LawnSite Member

I also have Super Z 60 / 28 EFI, just tripped 50 hours yesterday. I've not had any trouble whatsoever.

I would not want anything less, if anything I wish I had a few more horsepower.

It sounds like your dealer is pushing what he has and desires to liquidate his inventory. I paid $7750 plus tax for my mower new.

You'll have to decide for yourself, but I'll never buy a mower with less power than what I have.
  10. cward76

cward76 LawnSite Member

The dealer gave me a price $7800 on the SZ 25/60. This was $600 less than two other dealer I spoke with. They all said to add about a $1000 for the EFI. Sounds like you got a killer of a deal at 7750.

Please keep the info. rolling.