Best equipment for hardscaping

Discussion in 'Hardscaping' started by Agape, May 20, 2012.

1. Agape

Agape LawnSite Bronze Member

Rented a dingo a while back and loved it, but found it a bit underpowered/ undersized for excavation (paver patio). what is the best "all around"equipment to buy if your budget only allows for one machine right now.:waving:

2. Duekster

Duekster LawnSite Fanatic
    from DFW, TX

a full sized skid steer. As big as you think you can use regularly. The beauty of the ding is the places it can go, not the power.

3. Agape

What would u consider full size? If i bought new i was looking at a Case sr130 with 43hp. Or whatever i can get if used.

4. Duekster

from DFW, TX

Dingo and others like it are considered a mini skid steer and you walk behind it.

5. sven1277

sven1277 LawnSite Senior Member

The biggest problem with a 43hp ss is it won't pick up a full pallet. Otherwiseit will work well

6. Duekster

from DFW, TX

Moving a whole pallet of grass or block is an issue.

7. Agape

Well if i spend the$$$, i definitely wanna carry pallets? The 150 has a "tipping load" of 2600#. is that the weight that will lever it on its nose? And i assume thats not moving?

8. DVS Hardscaper

DVS Hardscaper LawnSite Fanatic

Full size skid steers are rated at 60 to 80 hp
    Posted via Mobile Device

9. Red Shed Landscaping

Red Shed Landscaping LawnSite Member

I started off with a smaller skid loader and would have to take the top layers of pallets off to move them and finally 2 years ago I got a bigger 73hp loader that its tipping load is 3400lbs and can lift about all the pallets and saves a huge amount of time.

10. DVS Hardscaper

DVS Hardscaper LawnSite Fanatic

yeah, that little compact stuff will limit you.

i have never owned any of the little compact stuff, nor had a need. If we have a tight area - we rent a walk behind skid loader.

Otherwise a true full size skid loader can be used for anything under the sun year round.