Best equipment for hardscaping

Discussion in 'Hardscaping' started by Agape, May 20, 2012.

1. Agape

Agape LawnSite Bronze Member

Understood, I know what to look for thanks!

2. SSmith

SSmith Banned

Yanmar mini excavator is a beast as well. Better for walls than patios, though.

3. Agape

Agape LawnSite Bronze Member

I can get a backhoe attchmt, for walls. My buddy uses a bobcat walkbehind exclusively, but i want the power to just drive through it. someday, though, i'll be able to afford multiple machines.

Does anyone use a small tractor with backhoe? Like a john deere?
    Then i could use the tiller, forks, brushcutter etc... Would it be the best of both worlds? Or would it be under powered or under "tractioned"?

4. Duekster

Duekster LawnSite Fanatic
    from DFW, TX

Your questions are typical and frankly there are trade offs. You have to decide if you can use a piece of equipment to justify owning it and making payment.

You might be better off renting for a while until you figure out what you need. If it helps, I am kind of in the same boat. I likely could use a mini-skid steer the most but it is under powered for a lot of jobs but works well for others. It is a Goldie locks deal.

5. DVS Hardscaper

DVS Hardscaper LawnSite Fanatic

In a perfect world, a contractor needs at least one of each.

But until you can afford one of each this is the order of importance:

1) rubber tire skid steer (unless you're in a region with heavy clay soil, such as Northern VA)

2) a second skid steer for loading and unloading the truck at your yard

3) a compact track loader

4) a compact utility tractor (this is handy for small, light, quick, in and out jobs)

5) a mini excavator

6) a walk behind skid steer

I have all everything above except for the excavator and walk behind skid steer. doubt we'll ever have the waLK behind skid steer.

Also, our local rental company stopped using Dingos for their fleet for their 5 stores and switched to Ditch Witch walk behind skid steers. They said they had too many problems with the DIngos

6. Duekster

from DFW, TX

Love your sigs below.

Tires vs treads depends on a lot of variables too right.

7. DVS Hardscaper

DVS Hardscaper LawnSite Fanatic

Thanks! I think it's time to trade in the CAT hat, though!

In my opinion, yes.

Don't spend money on toys that you can get by without. Landscape and hardscape guys are ego driven. Work pick up trucks with leather interior, diesel engines, etc. Brand new skid steers and excavators with every attachment in the catalog. Tracked machines are pricey, replacement tracks are even more. Our hardscape work is limited to a certain geographic area in MD. The soil is not heavy in clay, and rubber tire machines perform well for us. So well that it does not justify the expense of tracked.

On the other hand we do other work (non-hardscape / landscape related) in another geographic area with heavy clay soil. And you'd be a fool to even think about taking a rubber tired machine through the yards.

Walk behind skid steers are handy. But if you're new and starting out - you're limiting yourself from other income potential.

8. SSmith

SSmith Banned

Somebody probably died using a dingo. Those things are death traps. If you let off a stiff fart it wants to tip over on you.

9. Duekster

from DFW, TX

It is not that bad but it is light weight.

Wait, the wife said my farts caused global warming

10. zedosix

zedosix LawnSite Silver Member

I think a fully decked out King Ranch f350 is the most important tool that a hardscaper can have. Then secondly a mini ex. :)