1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community on the Franchising Forum.

Dismiss Notice

Best equipment for new business?

Discussion in 'Pesticide & Herbicide Application' started by Lawn Solutions, Nov 15, 2002.

1. Lawn Solutions

Lawn Solutions LawnSite Member
    from midwest

I'm new to this site but can tell most of you have the experience to know what you are talking about so I'm looking for some free
    advice...

I'm starting a new fertilizer/pesticide/aerating business in 2003
    and would like to know what's the best equipment for the money (I want to buy the right stuff from the get go!).

1) walk-behind spreader
    2) Aerator (walk-behind or riding?)
    3) Spray tank/pump for pickup
    4) Lesco Products? (fertilizer, incecticides, etc..)

I don't plan on providing mowing services initially. I have an ag
    background but the lawn business is a little different. I plan on
    purchasing a 150 gal. skid tank with Honda engine, electric reel,
    thru a local ag spray company but would like to know what you
    folks use.

I'm sure you have had these questions before, but appreciate any help!

2. 1grnlwn

1grnlwn LawnSite Bronze Member

Where in Midwest?

Mark

3. Lawn Solutions

from midwest

Topeka to Kansas City, KS

4. f350

f350 Banned
    from mi

dont be a scrub!!!!

we do this to scrubs

hammer.gif

5. 1grnlwn

1grnlwn LawnSite Bronze Member

Welcome to LS.

Lesco Wb spreader. Can't go wrong
    Ryan is good aerator lot of aerator mfgs out there anymore They all found out what ridiculous price ryan was getting .
    Any skid sprayer with hypro diaphram pump, honda engine electric reel. Size of pump and hose is dependant on whether you will spray trees.
    Material you can start at lesco, but once you get some volume (1 pallet or more) other suppliers will offer similar prod at bettter prices. Mine even delivers to my shop.

Mark

6. Lawn Solutions

from midwest

Thanks!

My ag sprayer supplier also mentioned a ni resistant rolling pump,
    although I don't plan on spraying on nitrogen. He said it last much longer. I'll definitly check out Lesco and Ryan.

After pricing insurance I definitly won't be giving my services away!

I've had a chance to read more posts on this site and have learned a hell of alot more than from my local connections...

Tim

7. PaulJ

PaulJ LawnSite Bronze Member

Lawn solutions

Welcome, I lived in Manhattan about 4 years- so I was'nt too far from you.

I don't know about your lesco dealer but the one in Lincoln NE is great. They can help with whatever questions you have. I Think you can't go wrong with a Lesco spreader. They sell the ride-on ones also. They sell an aerator that has "split-drive" like Classen. Bluebird also makes a good aerator. I think it turns easier than the ryan, but not quite as nice as the classen.
    I don't know about tank sprayers. I just use the backpack and a push sprayer, but my main thing is mowing, not spraying.

You should find that the Ag background is a big help, from calibrating equip, equip maintanence, and just backing up trailers.

Good luck:D

8. Lawn Solutions

from midwest

You moved from Wildcat country to Husker country PaulJ:confused:

I don't know much about aerators but they look like a lot of money to fix...I rarely see anyone aerating their lawns around here so I think with a little advertising there would be a market

My closest Lesco dealer is in KC but I'll keep Lincoln in mind because I go up to that area quite often...My brother who farms always did all of our spaying so he keeps up on the latest info.
    I think I can get a good deal on spray set-up and will let you all know what I here from the dealer.

9. philk17088

philk17088 LawnSite Fanatic

I'm using the Lesco space saver 200 gal sprayers and love 'em! I also use their push spreaders. The best advice on materials is shop around and tell suppliers if you can get a better deal, they will work with you. If you can pay on delivery, my supp;iers offer a discount for that. Good luck!

10. KLR

KLR LawnSite Member
    from Zone 6

regardless of what make aerator you go with, be sure to get a 'split drive' machine. it will make the job much easier.

i agree with the other comments about product, shop around and use them (vendors) as you would a used car salesman, play them against each other, they all want your business.

the rolling pump you mentioned is ok, but i prefer a hypo diaphram pump

good luck