Best Equipment

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by 3sons, Jun 1, 2004.

1. 3sons

3sons LawnSite Member

Does anyone have good experiences/suggestions on the best equipment to use? I have been using a Ryobi weed eater, Toro Mower and Featherlite Blower.

2. travis strecker

travis strecker LawnSite Member

stihl is in my opinion is the best hand held stuff for mowers it would be exmark

3. Mark McC

Mark McC LawnSite Bronze Member

As far as I can tell, the consensus on this board is that for mowers, you can buy any one of Exmark, Scag, Dixie or several others and not go the least bit wrong.

For trimmers and other hand-held equipment, Stihl, Echo and Shindaiwa all get good reviews from at least some operators.

But one of the smartest comments I've ever heard was to look by brand and by dealer. No point driving 100 miles to buy a name, but don't go with the nearest dealer if that outfit has a crappy reputation.

4. TClawn

TClawn LawnSite Silver Member

the best weed eaters that I have used are shindaiwa. I would also say the same thing for blowers go for the shindaiwa EB 630.

for mowers,if your looking for a 21" I love my toro proline, starts on the first pull every time.

anything over a 21" go for either exmark or great dane.

5. mkwl

mkwl LawnSite Bronze Member

In terms of mowers- Bob-Cat, walk behind blowers-Little wonder, back pack blowers-Stihl, trimmers Red Max, trim mowers- Snapper.
    I have all this equipment and a lot more and I love all of it!!!

6. rodfather

rodfather LawnSite Fanatic

You need to get off that rock junior...there are many other mowers besides eXmark. 15 years old and only 6 months into the biz doesn't lend a helluva lot of credibility at the moment. BTW, what the hell is a great dane other than a big dog?

7. EastProLawn

EastProLawn LawnSite Bronze Member

Alot good names out there, just take a look at some of the banners up top and there are still many more good names, one thing for sure stay away from the Home Depot and Lowes home owners stuff; Homelite, Weedeater, Ryobi, craftsman. These can help in a pinch but are definitely not made for the long run. Shop around for a good dealer and commercial equipment.

8. Itsgottobegreen

Itsgottobegreen LawnSite Silver Member

Small two stroke stuff- echo, stihl
    21" mowers- snapper, honda
    Belt drive walkbehinds-exmark, ferris, bobcat, scag
    Hydro drive walkbehinds-wright, ferris, exmark, bobcat, scag
    Stand on-Wright, Wright, Wright
    ZTR-ferris, kubota, exmark, wright, scag,
    Out front 3 wheel-ferris, scag, exmark
    Out front 4 wheel-nobody makes a good one anymore
    Pushblower-Little wonder
    Bed edger-trenchmaster
    Tractors-kubota, deere
    Wheeled skidsteers-deere, cat, bobcat
    Tracked skidsteers-ASL, cat (ASL RC-50 my next new toy)

What ever you do buy the best you can afford. It will help you out in the long run. In repairs, fuel, time, etc.

9. tiedeman

tiedeman LawnSite Fanatic
    from earth

Stihl has my vote for 2-cycle.

Very dependable and built tough

10. specialtylc

specialtylc LawnSite Bronze Member

Wow. You found all the crap stuff.:D . Just yanking you. Any of the commercial stuff will be about the same.