Best excuse for non-payment

Discussion in 'General Industry Discussions' started by Sandgropher, Jun 14, 2007.

1. Sandgropher

Sandgropher LawnSite Senior Member

Like the title suggests whats the best excuse you have heard from customers that did not pay/or not on time ?

I guess a very common one would be "i sent a check " what else ? :)

2. srl28

srl28 LawnSite Bronze Member

Couldn't find the checkbook sorry........ Got that the other day and couldn't help but laugh. Theres others, memory isnt working though!

3. meathead1134

meathead1134 LawnSite Senior Member

I didn't get the bill.

4. MJS

MJS LawnSite Bronze Member

Here's one I have heard numerous times from the same customer: "I can't afford to pay you right now; I'm on a fixed income". This coming from a woman who buys new plants at the local greenhouse every week during the summer. Oh well, I don't even try to understand some of my customers.

5. carcrz

carcrz LawnSite Silver Member

I hope she got a late fee!

I get the ones that always seem to "make it to the bottom of the pile". Right... sure it did. Is that what you told your credit card co?

6. richallseasons

richallseasons LawnSite Senior Member

I had one woman tell me that someone stole her mail box so she could not get her mail......

7. FearThisDeere

FearThisDeere LawnSite Bronze Member

I had one guy tell me that he "just didn't have any money" at the time. At I looked across his driveway at his BMW M3 and new Harley.

8. txgrassguy

txgrassguy LawnSite Gold Member

My crews did a landscape remodel - over fourteen grand worth - as the couple wanted to upsell their home.
    They tried to tell me the old no money story yet I knew a contract to purchase had been signed on the home. So I got a judgment from the local JP who then filed it against the title company so this debt had to be settled prior to completing the sale of the home.
    With admin fees, late fees and a debt service charge I was paid via a cashiers check by the title company a bit over sixteen five.
    The seller tried to come after me in the title company parking lot after I got my check - seems he disagreed with actually having to pay me. The only bad thing was I broke my right hand again - the fifth metacarpals bone - knocking three teeth out of his mouth. The JP happened to be in the title company's parking lot and asked me if I wanted to press charges as he saw the seller come after me. Instead the dipwad had to cough up an additional $372 for the doctors visit to splint my hand.

9. Wayne242

Wayne242 LawnSite Member

"run out of checks" Well banks still open, and i have 30 mins to spare;)

10. fiveoboy01

fiveoboy01 LawnSite Silver Member

"I lost the invoice" seems to be the most common one for me anyways.