Best Exmark ZTR

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by wiseguyslawn, Mar 11, 2008.

1. wiseguyslawn

wiseguyslawn LawnSite Senior Member
    from Ohio

Buying one in the next week, didn't do my homework on my last one. So I'm trying to get all the input I can. Want a 52"-60" deck. Heard kaws are much better than kohlers. Is 23 hp. enough or need 28hp.

2. ProStreetCamaro

ProStreetCamaro LawnSite Platinum Member

Lazer AS with UltraCut deck.. Bullet proof mower and it has proven itself a million times over. As far as the engine goes I wouldnt go any less than 23hp for a 52" or less than 25hp for a 60". I also wont own any more mowers with kawasaki engines. We have had alot of trouble with them over the years but kohler has always been very reliable for us. Our Lazer dealer just told us the other day when we got in a kawasaki vs kohler discussion that they mostly sell mowers with kohler engines. There service department gets more trouble kawasakis than they do kohlers.

3. wiseguyslawn

from Ohio

Interesting thanx apprecite the advice

4. joshco84

joshco84 LawnSite Senior Member

Definately go with the ultracut, best deck out in my opinion. Last lco i worked for ran many 23 horse kohlers on the 60 in ultracut, and we never had a problem with them being underpowered. Yes more power would be nice, but the 23 was more than sufficient. And a lot easier on the pocket book when buying 2 or 3 machines at a time.

5. ProStreetCamaro

ProStreetCamaro LawnSite Platinum Member

Your welcome. My dealer quoted me $7700 for a 60" Lazer AS with 25hp Kohler.

6. Eclipse

Eclipse LawnSite Bronze Member

I agree 23HP on a 52" is sufficient and 25HP on the 60" would be the minimum I would recommend.

If you plan on mulching or running an Ultra Vac I would try to get a little more HP.

7. wiseguyslawn

from Ohio

plan on getting the ultra, does the 2 or 3 bagger make a difference when deciding on the hp.

8. Eclipse

Eclipse LawnSite Bronze Member

You can only get a 2 bag on a 52 and a 3 bag on a 60.

I run 23HP 52's with an Ultra Vac and I am content. A little more HP would be nice when the grass is real thick and/or a little wet.

I would go to at least a 27HP if you plan to run a vac on the 60" although I am sure a 25 would work, the little extra would be nice at the times mentioned above.

9. delphied

delphied LawnSite Silver Member

I have a Triton 66 with 30 Kohler and love it. This mower according to alot of folks on this site was the worst Exmark ever made. I love mine so go figure. I dont think I would go less than 60 inch in either deck. I wouldnt pay more for a Kaw but I would want 28HP on a 60 instead of 23HP. Whatever you get will work well really.

10. mowerbrad

mowerbrad LawnSite Fanatic

When you run the ultra vac or any other bagging unit off the deck it will take about 3HP from the engine. So in a sense you are losing about 3HP, so if you have a 25HP engine you will be left with a 22HP. When running the ultra vac the bigger the engine the better.