Best Exposure

Discussion in 'Hardscaping' started by Tufa, May 30, 2010.

1. Tufa

Tufa LawnSite Member

We are a sculpting company that has a concentration in Millstones. How have you gotten your business noticed? Have you gone to shows? Rented property for displays? Gave away freebies? Thanks for your answers.

www.R-U-Stoned.com

2. tadpole

tadpole LawnSite Bronze Member

Not an answer to your question, but I like your products, especially the leaf and acorns. Your millstones would make great Bubbler bases.

3. PaperCutter

PaperCutter LawnSite Bronze Member

Shoot, if you're offering freebies...

Let me put you in touch with my brother, who has a water garden business in New England. He sells to contractors and homeowners through his retail store and definitely has a need for competitively priced natural stone products. You don't have enough posts to PM me, so shoot me an email at david [at] revolutionarygardens [d o t ] com and I'll do an email introduction.

4. PaperCutter

PaperCutter LawnSite Bronze Member

oh yeah, and to echo tadpole- nice pieces!

5. DVS Hardscaper

DVS Hardscaper LawnSite Fanatic

One way yto get noticed is to become a paying vender here at Lawnsite.

For those of us with loved ones and friends with addiction problems - the "R U Stoned" phrase doesn't sit well, as we do not find that cute, clever, or funny in anyway.......

6. 2low4NH

2low4NH LawnSite Bronze Member
    from NH

Agreed its a "fun" name for say a teenager but it puts a label on the company right away. I can understand where you were going as we have a huge natural stone portfolio so to speak but not a name i would ever pick.

7. DVS Hardscaper

DVS Hardscaper LawnSite Fanatic

Mr/Ms Stoner -

Ok, I'm meeting with a potential client in Potomac MD (google potomac MD to have an understanding of the demographics there). They say "oh, can you provide and install a millstone?"

Well, as I'm sitting inside their 2.17 million dollar home, that is 3/4 of a mile away from Dan Snyder's estate - there is NO way I would say "oh, of course, go to R-U-Stoned dot com and pick out a millstone". Just imagine the look on their faces when they hear that.

Lordy, I hope you're just jokin about that name...........

First thing you need to do in relation to "exposure" is change that name.

8. Bru75

Bru75 LawnSite Senior Member

I agree with 2low and DVS, but I think the "R U" part bothers me more. I hate text message type shorthand and intentional misspellings in company names and advertising.
    It gives a bad first impression, which is a shame because Tufa's company seems to do really nice, professional work.
    Reminds me of a few years ago when I was given a t-shirt from a Brickstop (I think) salesman. It had "We get laid in all the right places" printed on it. Kinda funny, but do you think I would wear that in front of a customer?
    Maybe I'm just old and grouchy beyond my years.

Last edited: May 31, 2010
  9. jabbo

jabbo LawnSite Member

Your kidding right????

10. Tufa

Tufa LawnSite Member

Our company's name is Muddle Sculpting Company. Our main website is Muddle Art dot com. We use the R U Stoned domain name for the marketing value. We had MuddleArt.com tshirts and had a trickle of visitors to our website. We changed the tshirts to R U Stoned and the website is swamped and we have received additional business. "stoned" is only used to drive people to the website and it works. I don't know anyone who hasn't been touched through friends or family in regards to someone dealing with an addiction. I personally have dealt with it. We discussed using this as a marketing tool and understood some people would react negatively.