Best fall cutting height?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by nbizati, Sep 14, 2006.

1. nbizati

nbizati LawnSite Member

Whats the general rule of thumb here for nothern lawns cut height? I have been cutting at 3 1/2 all year round and was thinking of cutting at 2 1/2 right before the turf goes dormant. What does every one else do?:usflag:

2. SOUTHERNGREENSCAPES

SOUTHERNGREENSCAPES LawnSite Senior Member

Goes Dormant. What Kind Of Grass Do You Have? I Would Think You Would Have Fescue Or Some Other Cool Season Grass In Which You Would Never Cut Lower Than 3.5" Unless Overseeding. But I Don't Know That Much About Your Area.

3. Jpocket

Jpocket LawnSite Silver Member

we normally just cut a 1/4 inch lower than normal, there is really no need to cut extra close. We cut most lawns a 4 inches all summer, leading up to the last cut I may drop the deck to 33/4 and everntually to 3.5.

4. 1MajorTom

1MajorTom Senior Moderator

For the last cut, we lower most lawns down to 2 3/4 inches, a few lawns the last cut we keep 'em at 3 inches, nothing higher than that though.

5. lawnspecialties

lawnspecialties LawnSite Silver Member

About the same for me here in NC. If we do get snow or ice, it helps them to bounce back if not at 3.5"-4" like in summer.

6. mike lane lawn care

mike lane lawn care LawnSite Bronze Member

i lowered all lawns except my own(as it has a special type of grass seed) to 2.75 inches this week. i think it would help when it comes time to using the leaf blowers.

7. Dashunde

Dashunde LawnSite Senior Member

3" is working well right now.

8. clydesdale

clydesdale LawnSite Senior Member

yep, I lower mine down to 2.75 for leaf season.

9. TriCountyLawn

TriCountyLawn LawnSite Bronze Member

2.5 to 3" ....get those leaves to blow across the lawn!