Best Fertilizer for my zone!

Discussion in 'Fertilizer Application' started by topchoice, Jan 16, 2008.

1. topchoice

topchoice LawnSite Member

I am in the Middle TN area and have no experience in this field. Most of my clients use Scotts Lawn Care Program and I have talked with that agent before and all he recommends is the Scotts. I have been using Scotts on my personal property for about 3 years and am satisfied, but not estatic about the way it looks. Does anyone have a better experience with a different brand and what type of program do you use? I have Fescue blend grass. Thanks for all of your help.

2. Burkhart Lawn Care

Burkhart Lawn Care LawnSite Member

:waving:Hey topchoice, Im really close to here in Clarksville. What do you not like about your lawn now?

3. topchoice

The first issue I have is small patches of weeds that migrate from neighbors yards, for some reason the Scotts doesn't handle these real well. I haven't resorted to liquid spray because I am not familiar with the right brand and how to apply. I also get some fading in the coloration after awhile. It doesn't stay that constant dark green color- you can tell once the fertilizer disipates. The last thing is that the grass doesn't seem to be thickening up and becoming plush. I replaced my whole property with sod three years ago and would have thought by now that it would look "perfect". I am not kidding around when I say I work on my yard almost everyday from fall to spring, I am almost always doing something so I know I have taken care of it to the extreme. Maybe I am being too picky?!?

4. Marcos

Marcos LawnSite Gold Member

Weeds don't migrate.

With all due respect, weeds don't have feet or brains.

What weeds are good at, however, are being opportunistic! :cry:

If they appear to be "migrating" from other areas it is just your perception of a much different problem :
    The turf was seeded too thin; or of for some other reason in the past, be it a past smothering weed problem, turf disease, thatch, foot or vehicle traffic, pet damage, poor / compacted soil, or some combination of the above that has damaged the turf enough to allow the weeds to gain a foot hold.

5. RAlmaroad

RAlmaroad LawnSite Silver Member
    from SC

Topchoice:
    Check out the Lesco (John Deere) products. You can find different blends of NPK. Most turf will not need too much more Phosphorus here. What you need is a uniform soil composition. Sounds like you may have some thin places where the red clas is really close to surface. Uniform sod. You may have to overseed and cover it with spagnum peat to even out the turf, then a good uniform coverage of plant food. Think about using a 15-0-15 with some Dimension to control the weeds. Apply when the soil temps stay around 55-60.
    Roy (East Tennessee)

6. topchoice

Thanks for the info- Should a pre-emergent be applied along with the 15-0-15 or seperately. I suppose if I talk with a Lesco dealer they could give me that info. I have heard of Lesco but have not heard of the actual effects of the product. I do know that before I put sod down on my property I had to add a ton of fresh top soil- the builder put hardly any topsoil down on top of the rock base from the blasting. Maybe that is part of my problem???? I had a soil analysis done but they havew never gotten back with me after my repeated calls- good thing it was free.

7. Burkhart Lawn Care

I would over seed in the fall and use pre-emergent in march when it starts to warm up. Just about every year.I use rebel tall turf type fescue 99.9% weed free & 90% germination rate.(look for the born on date)(that's just what I do) Do you have a lot of dead grass left from the drought we had?
    Billy :drinkup:

8. Burkhart Lawn Care

Sorry forgot about the starter fert. with the seed. Scotts or Pennington

9. topchoice

Fortunately I have no dead grass at all, I watered and watered and watered- we were never under a water restriction. Now, I have compared the Rebel seed with Scotts seed and found the %'s to be the same, but always went with Scotts because that was the program I was using. Scotts just came out with a new seed that I heard about- forgot the name- but I read that it was the best out there from an un-bias article. The only problem is the price- $65 for 5,000 sq ft!!!

10. Burkhart Lawn Care

That better be some good stuff. I just got a 50lb bag of fresh rebel IV yesterday for 100.00 I also used the scotts program, but it was killing me on the price so I change to sta-green products half the price same results.