Best Fertilizer

Discussion in 'Turf Renovation' started by alowery14, Mar 31, 2007.

1. alowery14

alowery14 LawnSite Member

Does anyone have any advice on which brand of fertilizer to use? I'm a Scotts guy, I've had great results on my own lawn. But as we all know Scotts is expensive. So that drives my price up for my customers. Any recommendations would be helpful.

2. muddstopper

muddstopper LawnSite Silver Member

To me brand names dont mean very much. I try to apply the right fertilizers based on soil test recommendations. Simply buying someones special summerizer, or winterizer, ect type of ferts, will never match my soil test recommendatins. I use all agr grades of granular ferts. Why, simply because i can get the nutrients I need in the amounts I need and mix and match to achive the correct nutrient ratios my soils need, based on the results and recommendations of the soil samples I take and have tested.

Thats not to say, the generic specialty fertilizers arent anygood and in some cases, the slow release fertilizers are a much needed item. But, if you truely want to improve your customers lawns and fertility levels, you will start with a soil test and work from those recommendations, and not just buy random specialty fertilizers because someone said thats what you need, or thats what they use. And especially dont ever believe a fertilizer saleman, he sells based on what he has, not on what you need.

3. dave k

dave k LawnSite Bronze Member

I've always used Lesco, but like Lebanon Turf, but since Shemins Nursery moved from my area I don't feel like driving 20 more miles to buy it.