1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Best Fescue seed----Oklahoma?

Discussion in 'Turf Renovation' started by OKIE LAWNS, Oct 3, 2011.

OKIE LAWNS LawnSite Member

I am goign to re-seed my lawn today. Got everything prepped.

What is a good seed to use? What holds up best to the heat?

Preferably something i can get in the OKC area/.
  2. RigglePLC

RigglePLC LawnSite Fanatic

Lescos All Pro isn't bad, but what do you have available to purchase seed from?
    Only other option is Scotts "Thermal Blue".

You want drought resistance, disease resistance, narrow blade, and dark green color. Creeping rhizomes is a nice plus. 10 percent bluegrass that is suited to hot weather will add better ability to creep and self-repair.
    General suggestions, sorry we don't use much TTTF around here--different conditions.

OKIE LAWNS LawnSite Member

Scotts thermal blue is sweet. Matter of fact that is what the lawn has been done in the last 5 years and i loved it. But with temperatures in the 110+ this summer here in oklahoma it dies out. It has lasted around 5 years with no re-seeding.

But everybody around here says that fescue like defiance will hold up better in the Hot oklahoma summer...

I cant get the thermal blue locally ( i used 100%) not the mix that home depot sells.
    With shipping and waiting on it to arrive i am afraid it will get to late.
  4. fireman gus

fireman gus LawnSite Senior Member

We use Survivor from W. B. Johnston's. It seems to do really well in North Central Oklahoma.
  5. R&S Lawn Care

R&S Lawn Care LawnSite Senior Member

Im trying some Stadium Mix I got from Agrium. Its a tttf blend. I've planted some full sun areas where my garden
    was. Then some shaded areas i overseeded that are currently in burmuda. Last, a bare area in the shade. We'll see in time. All planted with a slit seeder.
    Posted via Mobile Device