best finish mower, walker excluded

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by ScCo, Aug 29, 2004.

1. ScCo

ScCo LawnSite Senior Member

what in your opinions are the best 48" finish mowers?

by that I mean that if you had to choose 1 48" machine to give the best quality cut and finish on properties with several rolling hills and dips (prone to scalping with midmount ZTR's) what machine would you choose?

I've excluded walker from the possibilities because of the only dealer in my area being a dealer that doesn't have a very good rep.

Basically I need to know which machines to look into/demo to see what gives me the nicest finish cut, especially at fairly short cutting heights in warm season grasses. Again, these are properties that are very prone to scalping with midmount ztr's (even my super z which is generally really good about not scalping) unless I cut them higher than the customers want them cut.

Example being: one of my properties is tifway bermuda and it is being cut at 3" which is WAY too high, but any lower setting on the super z will produce scalps, no matter how much I work the deck lift pedal.

What 48" machine would each of you go with and why?

P.S. Fixed decks are excluded too, as I'm in a transitional zone and have to frequently change cutting heights.
  2. grasssin

grasssin LawnSite Senior Member

Not sure about many other machines since I havent used them but I have an Exmark lazer hp 48" with mulch kit installed and I LOVE IT.

I use the Extreme blade with it and have hardly any scapling issues unless it is an extreme hill that tops out quickly.

Or being an idiot and mow something that I should trim, like a a transition on the begining of the driveway

About to get the anti blowout for it so I dont have dust blowing at me...
  3. 65hoss

65hoss LawnSite Fanatic

eXmark---nothing but great experience with them.

2nd choice would be Hustler.

Floating deck on either of them in 48" for the scalping.
  4. grasssin

Here are some pics I took wh I got my new mower this spring...
  5. grasssin

here is one of the pics for you before

Attached Files:

6. grasssin

and after, this was done in spring with rye grass

Attached Files:

7. BCSteel

BCSteel LawnSite Senior Member

Your only handicaping yourself by not even considering the Walker. Not that it may really be the best for your aplications but, why not even consider it? Take care of it and you will never have to see the dealer again anyways.
  8. vipermanz

vipermanz LawnSite Bronze Member

i think you might have this confused, a fixed deck's height can be changed
  9. ScCo

ScCo LawnSite Senior Member

i know fixed decks heights can be changed....just nowhere near as fast as floating decks.

it's pretty common knowledge that we should avoid bad dealers, so going and buying a walker with the hopes of never having problems out of it, would not be a smart decision.

yes, the walkers cut great, but the hassle of dealing with the dealership that sales walkers makes them a no go.
  10. ztrlvr

ztrlvr LawnSite Member
    from US

Thats like saying best presidential canidate, bush excluded