Best FIXED spray nozzle on Market

Discussion in 'Irrigation' started by gravelyman50, Apr 6, 2006.

1. gravelyman50

gravelyman50 LawnSite Member

Hi, I am starting to get into irrigation and was wondering what nozzle you guys think is the best for a fixed spray pattern?? Are the Rainbird MPR's a good choice. Could you give me some feedback on differnet nozzles you guys have used?? thanks. I appreciate it. jeff

I was also looking at all the different valves out there. I am looking for a good 1" residential valve with a flow control. So far, the hunter SRV's look decent.. Any feedback on valves?

2. Dirty Water

Dirty Water LawnSite Fanatic

For reliability, we have found that the RainBird DVF-100 is a excellent valve. Its screened solinoid adds a small advantage in dirty water situations over the competition.

As far as sprayhead nozzles, each manufacturer has its pro's and con's. We use the Rainbird MPR's on RB 1800 popups. Some nozzles are better than others. Hunter makes (in some peoples opinions) better strip sprays for doing narrow strips, but I'm pretty happy with the MPR 15SST and 9SST that RainBird offers.

3. Spend the extra bucks and use the PGV if you are stuck on Hunter.....DV-100 is also a good valve and is what I use.

Spray nozzles...ford v chevy in my opinion.....I use RB nozzles though.....

I can't believe I just said all that....I use to HATE rainbird....you can teach an old bald dog new tricks.

4. PurpHaze

PurpHaze LawnSite Fanatic

Ditto here! We use the Toro 570 pop-ups/nozzles more out of necessity than anything else. We probably have 20-30k of them in the ground spread throughout our various sites so it behooves us to stay with the 570 due to "swapability" when we get a broken sprinkler or nozzle. We just put new guts/nozzle into the existing body and we're on our way to the next one.

But... I've used Rainbird and Hunter sprays/nozzles on other systems with great success and satisfaction.

5. greenscapes inc.

greenscapes inc. LawnSite Member
    from Utah

I use rainbird nozzle and hunter pop-ups. All hunter products have been excellent for me and that is what I use. Toro, in my opinion makes terrible nozzles and valves. I cant count how many toro valves I have replaced.

6. PurpHaze

We use Irritrol "Century Plus" (FC-100) valves but they're too spendy for the average homeowner and would be overkill in that respect. Some are 35+ years old (original James Hardie design) and a few still have metal solenoids and are still merrily plugging away. We have started using the Hunter ICVs for the WVC systems we've put in and I have to say we've had 50% failure rate on the diaphragms allowing "weep-by". But they're exchanged without question and we swap in the new diaphragms and we're back in business. However, this failure rate would be totally unacceptable if I were in business for myself.

7. Az Gardener

Az Gardener LawnSite Gold Member

I agree the Toro 570's are junk. I too had thousands in the ground and resisted changing for a long time but have finally gone to the Rainbirds. Whatever you do stay away from the Weathermatic valves, big solenoid problems, going on 3 years now. Can't remember the model # but I'm sure someone else does.

8. Wet_Boots

Wet_Boots LawnSite Fanatic

Weathermatic claims the solenoid issue is now past history. I got some further info from a rep, who said the problems required some dozens of hours of solenoid operation to develop, so valves installed in areas with wetter-than-usual weather were not racking up the hours of runtime needed to bring on early failure, adding to the confusion. It would be nice if W*M issued a service memo on the problem, just to show one and all that they were taking responsibility. I don't use their valves, so if they did issue a memo, I could have missed it.

Toro spray nozzles do have one nice feature, which is the little rubber flow restrictor built into them, to cut down on fogging. Also, Toro had a few patterns that Rainbird didn't, which means that when I absolutely needed 4x18 strip nozzles, I'd use Toro throughout, and in heavier (not sandy) soils, no real regrets. (other than the occasional semi-clogged 4x18 strip nozzle, which may be one reason that Rainbird never bothered to make a copy) - the original 570s (not the 570z or 570c) all developed worn seals, with serious flow-by problems that could keep the heads from popping up.

(Psssst! Hey Purp! Thosen Irritrol Century valves are Hydro-Rain designs, purchased by Hardie - even Rainbird sold Hydro-Rain valves made with the Rainbird name on them)

9. PurpHaze

Yeah, you're right. I totally forgot about Hydro-Rain. So we have Hydro-Rain purchased by Hardie purchased by Irritrol purchased by Toro. :laugh:

10. And they get more expensive by the day.....I have some 2 inch 100 series valves for sale....I will never use them again......sigh.