Best flowering shrub for a partial sun front bed?

Discussion in 'Landscape Maintenance' started by Townhouse Yards, Apr 29, 2014.

1. AMW Landscaping

AMW Landscaping LawnSite Senior Member

Look at butterfly bushes or hydrangeas. Hydrangeas will require water almost every day, but the butterfly is pretty hardy

2. recycledsole

recycledsole LawnSite Gold Member
    from MD

if this is a foundation planting I would go with something evergreen. I don't think butterfly bushes would make great foundation plantings.

3. DA Quality Lawn & YS

DA Quality Lawn & YS LawnSite Fanatic

I love butterfly bush BUT around here they tend to die over the winter. Probably not an issue where you are at.
    I vote for the Rhodo's though. Love those. And you guys can grow so many more varieties of them than we can here.

4. recycledsole

from MD

yea im glad im not up there its cold enough down here. butterfly bush made it through this terrible winter,

5. whiffyspark

whiffyspark LawnSite Fanatic

We lost a ton of landscaping.

A lot of boxwoods. Ever greens. Etc. AlZeas are having issues as well
    Posted via Mobile Device

6. recycledsole

from MD

yea ive seen some leylands go, some hollies that look bad, but that's about it

7. Townhouse Yards

Townhouse Yards LawnSite Senior Member
    from VA

On the plus side, my crepe, Japanese maple, and holly all got out of that long winter not looking all that bad.

Also: I did job yesterday. I would post pictures, but lawnsite keeps saying upload failed. I know some guys use photobucket, can anyone tell me how to use it?
    Posted via Mobile Device

8. recycledsole

from MD

it usually has a button to copy and paste the URL just paste the URL here basically.

9. Townhouse Yards

Townhouse Yards LawnSite Senior Member
    from VA

Ok let me try again. I will only post the after pictures. What do you all think? Two varities of arbor vitae, some knockout roses, and butterfly buses. Hostas were there orginally.

I planted the arbor vitae and knockout roses last year. This year they wanted to add on more color. I forgot to tell you guys that.

They don't cover the foundation well now, but they will grow.

019.jpg

023.jpg

10. recycledsole

from MD

Looks good for customers with a small budget. not everyone has a huge budget to buy lots and lots of plants. what variety of arborvitae?