Best for sod?

Discussion in 'Heavy Equipment & Pavement' started by brownings, May 20, 2008.

1. brownings

brownings LawnSite Member

What would be the best machine for sod? I'll use it for unloading the 2500lb pallets off of the flatbed trucks, then spotting the sod. I'll also use it for some leveling/grading. I've heard some of the bobcats will tip over, so it's got to be a larger machine, yet narrow enough to get in side yards in residential neighborhoods.

I considered buying a sod pallet "piggyback" forklift, but if I could find a a more versatile machine to do the job (with tracks) I can get more use from it.

thanks in advance for your replies.
  2. bobcat_ron

bobcat_ron LawnSite Fanatic

3. allinearth

allinearth LawnSite Senior Member

Case 440 with vts tracks.:usflag:
  4. Sunscaper

Sunscaper LawnSite Senior Member

I would say the best machine would be an A300 bobcat. After that I'd look for an articulating loader.
  5. ksss

ksss LawnSite Fanatic

How are getting along with the new 440?

Sorry for the hijack:waving:
  6. brownings

brownings LawnSite Member

will the a300 get stuck in sand easily? lots of sugar sand here. I like that the write-up say's "The A300 features a unique four wheel steering mode that enables it to maneuver in areas where a traditional skid-steer would damage the ground."

9000lb beast
  7. bobcat_ron

bobcat_ron LawnSite Fanatic

Anything with wheels will get stuck, tracks still get the job done better with less bouncing, an ASV/CAT MTL will go up steep hills where no wheeled machine dares to "tread" even with a load of sod.
  8. J. Peterson Grading

J. Peterson Grading LawnSite Senior Member
    from IA

Cat 375. I think taht would solve all you sod install problems.

9. Digdeep

Digdeep LawnSite Bronze Member

The ASV SR80 has the lowest ground pressure (3.15psi with 20" tracks) and the most even weight distribution that will minimize damage to turf- 125" lift height, 3100lbs ROC, standard highflow, variable flow lowflow, 72" wide, excavator style door and 12mph.
  10. allinearth

allinearth LawnSite Senior Member

The 440 with vts is awsome. Been spreading topsoil. Here topsoil is sandy. The 440 will walk all over it. It will move a 16 yard pile in about 3 swipes. Rented a 430 with wheels for a day cause 440 had to go to another job. What a disapointment. Bounced me to death and wasn't deadly at all in the sand. The 440 with vts is very steady and sure. Downside: 440 is loud. Lot of hydraulic noise. The native soil is rocky clay. have noticed several new cuts ont the tracks. They don't like the rocks.