Best form of advertising

Discussion in 'Starting a Lawn Care Business' started by primetyme1978, Mar 3, 2007.

1. primetyme1978

primetyme1978 LawnSite Member

I was wondering what everyone thought was the best advertising for your buck?

2. lawnpro724

lawnpro724 LawnSite Silver Member

Check into Yellow Pages they bring in a bunch of money for me year round and classifieds in paper work too at different times of the year. Do a search on this topic and you will find a whole lot on this subject

3. Runner

Runner LawnSite Fanatic

Do a search on here for the yellow pages and yo'll find that it is a total waste of time and money. I'm glad it worked for lawnpro, but he is the only person I've evr heard stating that it was worthwhile...whether it be on here or in real life.
    If you want to be flooded by calls by a bunch of "tirekickers" asking the same questions over and over, then that is the way to go. Your conversation will be. "How much do you charge to mow a lawn?" When you ask what size, they will tell you "Oh, about average size."
    On top of that, you will be getting calls from a 50 mile radius. Now THERE's a moneymaker!
    Now, the anser to the question, is the ultimate form of advertisement for your work is ...... your work. Your customers are your best sellers. I know it may sound cliche' but it is true.

4. TXNSLighting

TXNSLighting LawnSite Fanatic
    from DFW, TX

agree 100%! and door hangers are good to.

5. N.H.BOY

N.H.BOY LawnSite Bronze Member

I have had some luck with those "free" papers that come out once a week. Not sure if you have any your way, but check it out. Put an ad in there for a few weeks. Everyone grabs those "free" papers at the food stores. WORD OF MOUTH the best way!!!!

6. mwaller98

mwaller98 LawnSite Member

i must start by saying, prymetyme, that I appologize for your favorite baseball team....someday, maybe, just maybe, you'll feel the thrill of victory. Thank you for taking jason marquis from us down here in st. louis!

Yellow pages...no way. i'm glad pro has luck with them but they absolutely sucked for us. mucho dinero for nothin! Door hangers work great 1%-3% response. Mailers have worked for us in the past but that's all timing and still only get a .25% to 1% response. door to door on saturdays have been our greatest success. we can get 30-40 sales in one morning with just 3 guys. plus you can hang door hangers on the ones who don't answer.

7. nick-bigfootlawn

nick-bigfootlawn LawnSite Member

mwaller, do you get any doors slammed in your face when you do that? It seems like a good idea if the person is respectful, but I can imagine numerous people telling you to get off their property, etc.

8. lawnpro724

lawnpro724 LawnSite Silver Member

I guess it really depends on where you live as to whether Yellow Pages work. I live in a community with a population of 13,000 in town and another 3,000 around the lake area. I think most of the people who haven't had success with yellow pages live in bigger towns or cities where the phone book isn't used as much and advertising rates are much higher. My phone rings off the hook during the season and I get alot of calls from phone books. The ads I run in area phone books states what I do and the area I serve. I don't go out of this area unless its a big one time kinda job. I service my area and make a good living at it.

9. Uranus

Uranus LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Mass

I had decent luck with the free local paper. Everybody grabs it and in one of the towns I work in they deliver it to all the houses. People here look in it all the time for services and I actually got one of the guys who works for the paper in the advertising department as an account.

10. Mow"N"Bud

Mow"N"Bud LawnSite Member

This is from hard solid business research. For my Lawn Service 87.9% of my customers have come from WORD OF MOUTH. It just goes to show if you out shine the competition you'll land the customers.