Best Gadgets on your truck?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Jason Pallas, Feb 12, 2002.

1. Jason Pallas

Jason Pallas LawnSite Bronze Member

Always interesting to see what others have come up with - I know there are lots of threads like this, but there's always new members and new ideas.

Here's one for flat tires: We keep a 10-15 air tank on the truck/trailer for flats. This is always a good idea but sometimes a couple of flats in a day or a large tire that needs a lot of air can deplete all the air you've got stored. Instead of a trip to the shop or local gas station, I purchased a little air compressor (about $10) that plugs into the truck lighter/accessories outlet. We use this to fill the tank back -up to 120lbs or so (the compressor doesn't have enough psi/volume to bead tires). It works great and saves a lot of time. Even if someone forgot to refill the air at the shop, we've always got air.

Another quick tip: Tire beading straps run about $30 in catalogs. I've found that with a liitle modification, the tie-down/ratcheting straps you get at the local auto store work just as good. All you need to do is make a loop and hook so that you can cinch the strap (back around into itself) around the tire. It beads a tire like a charm - never a second try needed - and it's a lot cheaper that the beading strap advertised in supplier catalogs.

OK let's hear yours.

2. SUNSHINE LAWN

SUNSHINE LAWN LawnSite Member

Orange street cones on really conjested residential areas. 1 about 5 feet in front of truck and 1 about 5 feet behind trailer to keep from being hemmed in by other cars.

3. Duncan IN

Duncan IN LawnSite Member

If you are really stranded and need to air up a tired to get u buy for awhile or just don't have quite enough air to get the bead to seal, Try gas for Example. I had a tire on a sulky that broke the bead, I didn't have enough preasure to get it back on or a strap. What I did was get some gas and pour alittle bit into the tire and push one side up against the rim and then light it. This will create a small explosion( Don't use more than a ounce unless it didn't work, then use more). This will shoot the other bead against the other side creating preasure inside the tire. It will be enough to get u buy. It works for me.

4. stslawncare

stslawncare LawnSite Bronze Member
    from DE

question for u guys with cones, what size? u know how im a fan of cones and it will definitly be a item on my truck when i get one, but what size?

5. Ray&Christine

Ray&Christine LawnSite Member

I'm like Sunshine Lawn, I keep the orange pylons in the truck. I place one by the ramp on my trailer. Once I had someone drive over my ramp with thier car, they were backing out from across the street and didn't see the ramp. The parking eforcement guy seems to look the other way if they know you are working so the pylons come in handy for this as well.

Ray

6. Sam Grinold

Sam Grinold LawnSite Member

Ive always used starting fluid to mount tough to seat beads . It will work on all tires from walk behind to large truck tires.Seems to me to be a little safer than gas since it doesent burn long I always carry atire plugging kit on trailer . Have used it many times and once for acustomer

7. Jason Pallas

Yeah - I've heard about using gasoline and ether to get a tire to bead - just seems a little dangerous to me. But, in a pinch, if it works.... I did read one time about these guys that were trying to cross the artic and had one of their tires go flat and bust a bead. Thay had to use the same technique - only I think it may have been with propane or something. It was a huge tire and quite a spectacular accomplishment.

Anyway - how 'bout this for another idea: We use one of those hand squeeze"bulb" style primers to dispense gas into trimmers and blowers. We've just inserted the pickup hose into a hole in the gas cap of a 6 gal gas can (mixed 2 -cycle fuel) and run about 4 ft of hose out to the bulb and then another 3 ft as a filler spout/hose. Squeeze the bulb - and the fuel flows, no spills - easy as can be and no need for smaller containers. You can fill those small tanks right to the top without spilling a drop. Very accurate for fuel dispensing and very hassle-free.

8. I took an air hose - put an end on that will screw into the head in place of a plug so I can use my engine as a compressor. It doesn't take up much room, is very powerful, and works great in an emergency. I've seen a similar set-up done with an old a/c compressor.

9. Jason Pallas

Are you talking about the engine your truck? If so, that's a great idea in an emergency. If not, what engine and how does it run w/o a spark plug? ( I assume that's where the hose connects in).

10. I guess details would help, yes it connects to my truck engine.
    I've got one of those little electric ones that are ok for wheel barrows, etc. but this set up fills a truck tire quick. I made it out of an old compression tester.