1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community on the Franchising Forum.

Dismiss Notice

Best gas engine?

Discussion in 'Trucks and Trailers' started by doubleedge, Jul 14, 2008.

1. doubleedge

doubleedge LawnSite Senior Member
    from ND

I need to buy a 2500/250 for next year. It will only be hauling 3 people, a bed full of grass (with sides), and towing less than 3k #. What engine would provide the best gas mileage while still being able to handle the weight easily? The truck that the engine is in has to be cost around $10000-$12000 with an extended cab and long box.

2. Albery's Lawn & Tractor

Albery's Lawn & Tractor LawnSite Bronze Member

You only need a 1/2 ton for that little of weight.

3. PLS-Tx

PLS-Tx LawnSite Silver Member
    from Texas

Chevy 1/2 ton, V8.

4. SouthernLandworks

SouthernLandworks LawnSite Member

I'd go with the 5.4L Triton but the 6.0L Chevy is also a good engine with good power.

5. doubleedge

doubleedge LawnSite Senior Member
    from ND

How much would a full bed with sides of grass weigh? Im not sure if a 1/2 ton has enough payload for that.

6. white1

white1 LawnSite Member

Chevy 6.0

Hell I put one in my 1/2 ton :weightlifter:

7. fool32696

fool32696 LawnSite Senior Member

both Ford and Chevy make reliable and fuel efficient V8s

8. mower&more1986

mower&more1986 LawnSite Senior Member

9. TXNSLighting

TXNSLighting LawnSite Fanatic
    from DFW, TX

Ive always loved the Triton V8.

10. Greybeard

Greybeard LawnSite Member

If you're going to put sides on it, then fill it with grass, that's way too much for a half-ton. Might work for a while, but you'll be visiting Mr. Goodwrench a lot. I've owned Fords and Chevys. Keep the oil and filters changed and either will last a long time. My 00 F350 gets as good mileage as a lot of the lighter trucks, cause it's hardly working. I've filled it over the top with grass and shredded leaves, and it's a good load, but not a problem. It has a 5.4 V8, 5-speed and 4.10 gears. (It's for sale on Lawnsite, but maybe too far for you to travel.)