Best gas powered hedge trimmer??

Discussion in 'Turf Renovation' started by n2h20, Dec 26, 2005.

1. n2h20

n2h20 LawnSite Senior Member

I am looking for a new hedge trimmer, I will not use it for work but for my house. I want a quality brand and something that could stand up to commercial use but dont want to spend more than 100-175 on it.
    Lets hear it... pros and cons..,.

2. o-so-n-so

o-so-n-so LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Alabama

Probably the best for the money is going to be an Echo HC1500. They are cheaper than the high end brands and they will hold up to commercial/home use.

I have been using a one for 3 years now with no problems.

3. TWUllc

TWUllc LawnSite Senior Member

Ditto. .

4. n2h20

would any good lawnmower shop carry one?

5. Landscape25

Landscape25 LawnSite Member
    from Florida

I just looked online at the HC1500- RRP $549.00. Not sure what RRP means, maybe recommended retail price. I just bought a Maruyama the other day. I have never owned a hedge trimmer before this but it seems commercials are not cheap. I was told Maruyama was the lightest.

6. Doc Pete

Doc Pete LawnSite Gold Member

NO pros or cons..... just a stupid question......... Even $175 won't buy anything worth while.....Nuff said.........

7. n2h20

stupid question huh.. sorry there part time pete...

Sorry maybe i should have stated that it will be for personal use. so a $500 trimmer would be a little expensive since i would use it maybe once a month.

8. NNJLandman

NNJLandman LawnSite Bronze Member

STHIL make great hedge trimmers as does echo

9. Landscape25

Landscape25 LawnSite Member
    from Florida

Norcal, maybe try calling about used ones. Where I got mine there was one or two 40" Maruyamas that were used for 250.00. Apparently the owner decided to buy a new one because of the cost to fix it. They were heavier so I had to spend the extra money.

10. lawnmaniac883

lawnmaniac883 LawnSite Silver Member

For that price range dont expect to find any "quality" machines. Might try a home cheapo job and get a cheap weedeater brand or something. Just got myself a stihl hs80 w/24''. Has done a terrific job so far, not bad for my first gas trimmer, prolly overkill for a homeowner though :waving: