1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Best gas powered hedge trimmer??

Discussion in 'Turf Renovation' started by n2h20, Dec 26, 2005.

1. procut

procut LawnSite Bronze Member

I have a Stihl FS-45. I think it was about $250.00. It would probably last forever with only occasional homeowner use.
  2. WalkerMike98

WalkerMike98 LawnSite Member

This is a stupid question. Just by a weedeater brand. By the time you take it back and throw your arm out trying to start it you will realize it is insaine to buy cheap lawn equipment whether or not it will be used commercially. What is your time worth? Heck, just buy an electric CRAPSMAN.
  3. hosejockey2002

hosejockey2002 LawnSite Bronze Member

Like others have said, if you buy new you'll have to spend at least $250 for a trimmer that's worth having. You could buy the Weedeater for $150, but it probably won't make it more than a couple of seasons.
  4. 3Bladz

3Bladz LawnSite Member
    from IL

The stihl hs45 is a pretty decent trimmer, I bought one for doing little round boxwoods. The HS80 is overkill for them and it kills my back bending that low. The HS 80 will cut some stuff. It'll cut the handle of a rake no problem. If you have real woody stuff to cut that would be my choice, otherwise the 45 for ewes and such will do fine.
  5. n2h20

n2h20 LawnSite Senior Member

thanks for the info
  6. Landscape25

Landscape25 LawnSite Member
    from Florida

I don't think it is stupid question at all. If he was a lawn equipment expert he would not have asked.
  7. Green-Pro

Green-Pro LawnSite Bronze Member

Echo HC150i is a fine set of hedge trimmers, if I recall believe I paid about $279? $289? I'd have to look to be sure, but think it was around there.
  8. Doc Pete

Doc Pete LawnSite Gold Member

Sorry, you’re just not getting the point. You can’t buy quality at the price you’re looking for… period.
    Furthermore, about $350 “Will” get you one of the best trimmers out there.

So……. To be blunt, You’re incorrect about being able to buy quality at $100/$175, and you’re also incorrect in needing to spend $500 for quality, also.
    IOW, instead of pretending to know what you are talking about by throwing out prices for things, since you don’t have a clue, you need to settle on “Price” or settle on “Quality”.

I apologize if I’m not sugar coating my answer, but you wanna play Mr. know it all, and you’re just wrong……….
  9. lawnmaniac883

lawnmaniac883 LawnSite Silver Member

Well said Doc Pete...
  10. Lawnworks

Lawnworks LawnSite Fanatic
    from usa

Would you be interested in buying my Stihl Hl 45c? I absolutely love Stihl trimmers... they are by far the toughest hedge trimmer out there. I want the $500 4-mix model, and we do enough trimming to justify it. Here is the specs and pic. Trimmer is about 6 months old and is perfect running condition.