1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

best granular pre-emergence landscape beds

Discussion in 'Landscape Maintenance' started by jbo90423, Jan 30, 2010.

1. jbo90423

jbo90423 LawnSite Member

Looking for some feedback on pre-emergence used in landscape beds. I am preferring granular, but really just wanting some info on this.... thanks....
  2. grassman177

grassman177 LawnSite Fanatic

used snapshot for years and it was great, but after so long with any chemical you will lose control. so this year i am switching to a new product called freehand. it is supposed to contol nutsedge so i am hopeful .
  3. shade tree landscaping

shade tree landscaping LawnSite Senior Member

4. OSU 09

OSU 09 LawnSite Senior Member
    from Ohio

Snapshot has worked well for us too
  5. Drew Gemma

Drew Gemma LawnSite Bronze Member

trefflan half the price of snapshot not as good but does work

We also use liquid surflan or the generic which I can't spell
  6. wurkn with amish

wurkn with amish LawnSite Senior Member

trefflan is junk Drew. Pay the extra for the premium coverage. I am interested in the "freehand" product tho if it controls nutsedge better. Would JD Landscapes carry it?
  7. Marcos

Marcos LawnSite Gold Member

If you want to get a handle on nutsedge I'd recommend Casoron 4G:

It's also fantastic in its control of Canada thistle! :clapping:
    But be very selective in where you place it in the landscape because it's toxic to monocots like turfgrass.
    Don't place it to close to the bed's edges, or in beds that have sharp slopes where H2O runs unchecked into lawn areas.
    You may want to experiment w/ it the 1st spring & use it in somewhat isolated areas like parking lot islands, etc.
    If JD/Lesco still sell the gravity shaker bottle/ spreader 'Spread Rite G', thats a perfect tool to target Casoron with.
    In fact back in the mid '90s when Lesco was still Lesco they were commonly called 'Casoron spreaders'.
  8. horttenn

horttenn LawnSite Member

We use dimension ew over the top with good results. With backpack @ 1.5 ounces per msf. Snapshot has to be watered in within 48 hrs.
  9. exmark232

exmark232 LawnSite Member

i use corn gluton, it's more earth friendly if you will and work very well you get about 3 months out of the product, but it is hard to find
  10. tlc28

tlc28 LawnSite Member

we used trefflan last year but think i will go with snapshot.