best grass all around

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by junior, Feb 26, 2003.

1. junior

junior LawnSite Member

in peoples opinion whats the best all around grass for striping, durability, and heat resistance?
  2. Lombardi

Lombardi LawnSite Senior Member

In our area a tall fescue works good.
  3. paponte

paponte LawnSite Silver Member

Really depends on your geographical area. We use a Blue- Rye blend.
  4. woodycrest

woodycrest LawnSite Senior Member

one of the golf courses i look after is about 80% bent grass...Highland Bent to be exact. striping is excellent...and once that stuff gets established its unstoppable! Last August it was really dry around here and some areas went dead brown for a week or two, but after the first rain It came right back as green as ever.

I rebuilt all the greens in 2001 ...about 2'' of soil mix and reseeded took a while to get established but by the end of last season it had really taken root... ;)...oughta be some nice putting surface out there this spring.

5. woodycrest

woodycrest LawnSite Senior Member

forgot...bent isnt necessarily the best grass all around but it sure makes a nice looking turf.

6. baddboygeorge

baddboygeorge LawnSite Bronze Member

fescue is the best lays a hell of a stripe an very durable!!
  7. HOMER

HOMER LawnSite Gold Member

Centipede.....................just forget about the stripes.
  8. fatboy5803

fatboy5803 LawnSite Senior Member

Here in Fla. St Augustine is very popular, I don't try to stripe but you can see some sort of stripes... Anyone in Fla. do striping on this type grass??

:rolleyes: Lou
  9. rodfather

rodfather LawnSite Fanatic

Agreed...depends on where you live. Fescue stripes very nicely. And Kentucky Blue is very durable.
  10. yardman1

yardman1 LawnSite Senior Member

stipes in the south, hahahahah, it doesn't work very well with the grass selection we have.