Best Grass Seed for Average Lawn in Maryland?

Discussion in 'Turf Renovation' started by recycledsole, Sep 20, 2012.

1. recycledsole

recycledsole LawnSite Gold Member
    from MD

Hello Guys
    Im wondering what you think is the best grass seed variety for maryland area (USDA ZONE 6b/7a). This lawn would get the average amount of sunlight. I am looking to buy at home depot.
    thanks alot

2. RigglePLC

RigglePLC LawnSite Fanatic

Irrigated or not? I am thinking you are in tall fescue country. 90 percent top quality thin blade tall fescue and 10 percent bluegrass. Scroll down for further discussion.

3. recycledsole

recycledsole LawnSite Gold Member
    from MD

thanks - not irrigated

4. oabdu123

oabdu123 LawnSite Member

Posted via Mobile Device

5. oabdu123

oabdu123 LawnSite Member

Either 80% Tall Fescue 10% Kentucky Bluegrass 10% Perennial Rye.
    Tall Fescue is great for the harsh summers in MD
    The bluegrass helps with filling in the spots and the rye is great for establishing a lawn faster and for eroison control as well.
    I had great results with Pennington grass seed.
    Make sure that is is a Turf Type Tall fescue.
    Posted via Mobile Device

6. beatsworking

beatsworking LawnSite Senior Member
    from MD

I was just just at the fertilizer recertification put on by the Mill, had the owner of Chesapeake seeds there and he strongly recommended this mix

7. oabdu123

oabdu123 LawnSite Member

Thanks for the reply.
    I have used the Pennington smart seed with great results.
    They sell it at Lowe's or Home Depot.
    I tried some of the Vigoro seed, and the quailty wasn't nearly as good.
    However with the Pennington seed you have to separately purchase the different seed varieties and mix them yourself, which isn't time consming at all.
    Newsome Seed, based in Howard County does have that seed mix pre bagged in 50lbs. I was quoted a price of $77 which is actually a better deal than the Pennington seed, so that is probably a better option for most.
    Nevertheless I can definitely vouch for Pennington Smart Seed. Just make sure that is at least 80% Turf Type Tall Fescue due to fescue being able to withstand the brutal summers here.
    Posted via Mobile Device

Dedax likes this.
  8. Dedax

Dedax LawnSite Member

How about in Southern Delaware, same region just 100 miles east of you. Irrigated, full sun (85%), 2 acre lot? Looking to reseed in the next 4-5 weeks but stuck on seed choice? Currently have a ton of broadleaf mixed with patches of fescue.

9. oqueoque

oqueoque LawnSite Bronze Member
    Male, from NJ

That is what we use in NJ also with great success, so it will work for you.

10. Dedax

Dedax LawnSite Member

Thanks so much, is the actual mix % as important as the quality of seed and practices/application? To clarify, are big box store seeds just as good as custom online blends, etc?