best grass seed for texas???

Discussion in 'Landscape Architecture and Design' started by draftlawncare, Dec 12, 2004.

1. draftlawncare

draftlawncare LawnSite Member

anybody from texas know what the best grass seed would be for a shaded lawn that sees about 70% shade and has alot of heavy traffic on it (dog) the lawn is in SAn Angelo not sure what zone that is maybe 11 thanks JD....... also when is the best time to plant seed in TX..... oh yeah HOW BOUT THEM COWBOYS
  2. blafleur

blafleur LawnSite Member

Hate to say it but there is no grass seed that will work in that much shade in Tx. If you sod, you may get St. Augustine to work, but that shade is pushing it. Some will tell you that you can seed fescue, and it will come up, but will fade out in the summers and eventually die off.

Your best bet will be ground cover.

3. DALMlawn&landscaping

DALMlawn&landscaping LawnSite Member
    from TX

try a zoyzia seed, down here in san antonio it works for us in the shade, its expensive but then thats why you throw down some good bermuda in the sunny part. do some research on it.

i went to a semester at ASU, i dont remember seeing too much grass other than agustine and bermuda, so who knows - thin the trees (ahh, i hate people who do that) and throw agustine down, hopefully its in a yard with irrigation system.
  4. TurfGuyTX

TurfGuyTX LawnSite Senior Member
    from DFW

Well said. If you try St. Augustine, Del Mar is the most shade tolerant currently.
  5. Jacobsjet

Jacobsjet LawnSite Member
    from Texas

Del Mar is what they say will do best in the shade. Sometimes its hard to get down here (around Galveston). Most wholesalers don't want to mess with it. If you get it growing, don't cut it short. Personally, I would push the xeriscape idea and mulch, make a flower bed or put in some hardscape. Expecially if its a high traffic area. In my opinion St. Augustine is the most shade tolerant of our grasses.