1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Best Grub control fertilizer for the money?

Discussion in 'Fertilizer Application' started by jkr1, May 28, 2003.

1. jkr1

jkr1 LawnSite Member
    from Ohio

I am a homeowner that has about 40,000 sq. ft of lawn. While putting in flowers in the ground, I noticed lots and lots of grubs. Last year, my lawn did have a few brown spots - probably from grubs. This year already, I have some spots that are getting brown. I live in Ohio and we've had lots of rain the last 2 months. My question: Whats the best grub control for the money? Scotts Grubex is $19 a bag and only covers 5,000 sq ft. Any generic brands that work well for much less money? Or, is there an insect control fertilizer that also kills grubs?
  2. jkr1

jkr1 LawnSite Member
    from Ohio

Spectracide® TriazicideTM Soil & Turf Insect Killer Granules contain a new ingredient - 0.04% Lambda-Cyhalothrin vs dianzanon. Bug B Gon w/Grub control uses 6.3% Carbaryl? Any recommendations? Both of these are around $8/bag per 5000 sq feet...
  3. Scraper

Scraper LawnSite Bronze Member

No point in trying to use a grub control at this point as hey are past the lower instar stage and will need more active ingredient to kill. Better off waiting a couple more months for the new hatch which will be more susceptible to Grub-X or Merit.
  4. Dylox(sp). Need to apply for 2 seasons.

Next year you will also want to apply Mert or Mach II to prevent, but will still have to Dylox(sp).
  5. $32 a bag for the same here.

Any of the 3 I wrote above is 10,000 sq.ft for $26 but hard for you to find.
  6. rkk95

rkk95 LawnSite Member
    from west PA

If you treat with merit right now at the proper rate, you will not have a grub problem, the grubs that you will find now are going to become a beatle very soon, it is the eggs from that beatle that you need to kill.
  7. jkr1

jkr1 LawnSite Member
    from Ohio

Where can I find these products? Would something like "Tractor Supply Company" carry these?
  8. Grassmechanic

Grassmechanic LawnSite Silver Member

Merit, hands down, but pricy. Try Lesco.

9. Nebraska

Nebraska LawnSite Senior Member

Hire a insured lawn care service with certified applicators.
  10. :D