Best Hand Helds for your buck

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing Equipment' started by BTS, Jul 27, 2013.

1. BTS

BTS LawnSite Member

As many of you know I'm just jumping into the lawn care arena on my own as of recent. I currently have some low grade Echo/Stihl commercial grade gear and I'm looking to upgrade this off-season. I wanted to know Which hand helds everyone thought might be the best bang for my buck?

Blower, & Edger is the primary 2 I'm focusing on.

2. RSK Property Maintenance

RSK Property Maintenance LawnSite Bronze Member

echo pb755ht or stihl br600's are pretty decent back packs. both are pretty popular around here and will give you many many years of service, maybe even up to 7 years depending on how heavy they get used.

3. ddixon7

ddixon7 LawnSite Senior Member

All commercial brands are pretty much the same quality in their upper level stuff. Brands like Redmax, Stihl, Husqvarna, and Echo are all good choices because they have lots of dealers and a big parts supply. Smaller brands like Shindaiwa, Tanaka, and Maryuama are top notch, but have a smaller network of dealers. Take your pick.

4. TruSomethingOrOther

TruSomethingOrOther LawnSite Member

I have the Redmax 8500 back pack blower, and the Tanaka walk behind edger along with a Stihl stick edger. Love them all. There again it's not cheap. More or less top of the line imo.

5. BTS

BTS LawnSite Member

Yea I've been leaning towards Echo mainly because I'm flying solo and Stihl stuff is heavy after a few hours of toting it.

6. Valk

Valk LawnSite Silver Member

Are you clearing brush or a mow 'n go?

7. Leland Lawn

Leland Lawn LawnSite Member

I have been using Echo handhelds for years now and still love them. Partly that is cause I have worked with a local dealer for years who has been really good to me in that time.

The only time my gear really puts my patients to the test is on hot days... like 90+ degrees when the trimmers just won't start. A knowledgeable operator can always get them started, but I see my newer guys struggle with them. Those are the days I think about trying something from Stihl.

8. RSK Property Maintenance

RSK Property Maintenance LawnSite Bronze Member

stihl has the br600 which has the most power for its weight. It is the lightest commercial duty backpack blower. then for string trimmers, husqvarna 326ls are the lightest with the most power. and they are reasonably priced right around 300 and will last your several years 5-10 years depending on usage might even get 15 years out of one if you really take good care of it. I do nothing to mine but add fuel when its out and add string when it needs it and i have two that 10+ years old and 1 that is 7 years old. and the older ones have had 0 issues. the newer one needed a clutch after 5 years of use, but i move the guard back about 1" so I can run a little more line, it speeds up trimming by a decent amount, but the clutch doesn't last as long so its a trade off. but it cost 35 dollars for the dealer to install a new one. so I can't complain about that.

9. kawakx125

kawakx125 LawnSite Bronze Member

I love my husqvarna 326 and 570bts backpack blower.

10. Colaguy

Colaguy LawnSite Senior Member

I use the Stihl Kombi and attachments because, A) its quality professional tools, B) I can easily store all in the back of king cab & nothing gets exposed to fowl weather.