best handheld auger

Discussion in 'Landscape Architecture and Design' started by terrapro, Oct 10, 2006.

1. terrapro

terrapro LawnSite Bronze Member

anyone have any preferences for one or two person augers or is it one of the as long as it has a good engine kinda tools
  2. sildoc

sildoc LawnSite Silver Member

How much are you going to use it? I have an earthquake. Cheap but does the job. I only use it roughly 20 hrs a year. but it saves me much time and I like that part.
  3. meets1

meets1 LawnSite Gold Member

I have an EFCO handheld. It is awesome. A little money but well worth it. I have seen others use cheaper augers that either don't have the power, the "toughness" or quality built into them that they struggle to keep it running, etc. I use it for planting, decks, fencing, I'll also place a few holes inside a formed area for cement.
  4. lawnkid

lawnkid LawnSite Senior Member

I am currently in the same boat. I;m looking for a good one person auger to plant like flowers and small shrubs. Getting tired of hand digging holes for 1 & 3 gallon sized plants. I plan to start advertising flowwer planting as well since no one seems to wanna do it. Am thinking along the lines of a Tanka, Stihl, or Echo. Anyone using any of these for planting?
  5. terrapro

terrapro LawnSite Bronze Member

im expecting on using it quite a bit. i do alot of installs small and large plus alot of replacing/fixing for local hacks and i currently have a relative in heating and cooling that gives me some digging work whenever he has exterior work. plus some random postholes and the like. so if theres a decent one for a decent price im game.

*what did you guys pay for yours, i cant seem to find any prices on the net???*
  6. NickN

NickN LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Alabama

I've been using the Tanaka with no problems at all.You can read my write up in the Tanaka forum or on their website.Augers save lots of time.
  7. ozd12005

ozd12005 LawnSite Senior Member

Earthquake is cheap and does a great job
  8. Dirty Water

Dirty Water LawnSite Fanatic

I used an auger like this once to put in some posts:

While its better than a 2 man auger, its still a PITA.

A skidsteer with an auger is so much easier.
  9. BCF

BCF LawnSite Member

I had the ehco auger when I first started my fence business. It did a good job. Beat you up thouhg, because I used a shovel as sort of a torque bar against my leg to keep it from wrenching my wrists. The spring on the bit actually did help a tad. For shallow digging I think it woul dbe great for you.

Held up for me through two seasons, until the handle on one side snapped off, from me trying to get too much out of it. Dont get me wrong, it's nothing compared to my one man little beaver, but sure beat hand digging.

BTW, while I was researching, it seemed the Stihl was a bit better, more powerful and better handles, but couldn't find a dealer with one in stock. Also, right now Home Cheapos are selling some of their rental equipment. Might look there.

O edit, atere readin ghow much you will be using it, I think you'd be better with a little beaver one man. The 8 HP mechanical one can handle a 12" bit no problem. The hydro powered ones are even more powerful, and have reverse, but they're around $4k, while the mechanical can be had for around $2,400.