Best Haul truck in 3500 class

Discussion in 'Trucks and Trailers' started by YellowDogSVC, Jul 7, 2008.

1. YellowDogSVC

YellowDogSVC LawnSite Gold Member
    from TX

Okay, so I'm going against my principles and looking at new truck because my truck is a dog. I am nearly paid off in my 2005 f350 diesel crew cab 4x4 with flatbed, winch, toolboxes, etc. I routinely haul about 2-4k on the truck bed and a 12k trailer fully loaded up to the 12k. My whole hauling rig weighs about 25k.

My 2005 ford just feels sluggish. Yeah, I'm hauling a lot of weight but it's still sluggish even when the weight is off. Ford guys tell me the 6.0 sucks. I believe that but I also think the truck with flatbed is heavy at 10560lbs before I get any weight on it.

Does anyone have a 2008 F350 diesel, 2008 dodge 3500 or Chevy/Gmc 3500? What's going to give me the most power and be the lightest truck to start?

Oh, and I'm not interested in juvenile responses from some of the immature kids who hang out here. Don't start a brand bash on my thread please. I want to hear from ADULTS or mature guys who haul heavy loads...
  2. newtostone

newtostone LawnSite Senior Member
    from NY

Are you looking to stay in a Med duty truck? or in that area? I would take a look at the new dodge 5500, its a little bit slower than the ford but i think it would hold the weight better. Also something else to think about is the gearing on your truck? do you have the 4.10 maybe think about going into a 4.88 rear, that may make you feel lighter. I would just say chip it out, but with a 6.0 your going to blow that up.:cool2: I would just stay away from the new 6.4 due to its mpg. I also would feel much better about running a chip in a cummings over a international
  3. Lawn Enforcer

Lawn Enforcer LawnSite Silver Member

I don't know if you consider 17 and adult, but I'll voice my opinion anyway. I believe you will find the most power and torque with a Dodge 3500 with the 6.7L Cummins. I built and priced an '08 Ram 3500 ST Chassis Cab with 4x2, 6.7L Cummins, and a 6-speed auto tranny. I chose the rest of my options as basic and "work truck" like as possible. It came out to only $33,000 after $1,000 cash allowance. With a 4x4, it came out to $36,555. Not too bad in my opinion.
  4. WH401

WH401 LawnSite Senior Member

I second the Dodge 3500 w/ a 6.7. A 4.10 gear ratio would definately be the way to go but it's not available in the chassis cab with the AISIN transmission. Either a Dodge or a Chevy would be good, but I'd still probably lean towards the Dodge because of the Cummins.
  5. YellowDogSVC

from TX

I want to stay under cdl for now and you are right about the chips in the 6.0. I have the 4.10 right's a dog of a truck rides smooth.
  6. YellowDogSVC

from TX

LOL. I was just hoping to keep the kiddos from bashing and start a brand war in a serious thread. Thanks for the info!

Oh, I don't mind pulling the bed for the upfitter so it doesn't have to be chassis cab. I have to have 4x4 though. Use it every single day to haul into my property. The problem with the 6.0's are many but the biggest complaint is no passing power nor the ability to keep my speed up on a hill and the huge turbo lag at startup. I have to cross a divided highway to leave work.
  7. AWJ Services

AWJ Services LawnSite Platinum Member
    from Ga

I love Fords the way Ron loves Cat equipment but as of right now I would sway towards the GMC /Chevy if I bought new.
    The Duramax/Allison is the only tried and true combo available.
    The Ford is doing pretty good but I cannot afford too be a Guinea Pig.All the ones I have driven feel no different than the 6.0 trucks.

I would find a 2002 F550 4x4 crewcab.
    With just a minor upgrades the 7.3 is a real workhorse.
  8. YellowDogSVC

from TX

I don't know much about the duramax. Now I have some more homework! :cry:
  9. Lawn Enforcer

Lawn Enforcer LawnSite Silver Member

10. Junior M

Junior M LawnSite Fanatic

ok i am only fourteen and you are probably goin to hate it that i am responding but... i have an opinion to.....

my cousin drives a 2005 3500 single wheel dodge long bed and it runs spectacular.. but i wouldnt recommend the new dodge 6.7 becuz it has the new blue tech emissions crap on it so it has the worst fuel mileage a dodge diesel has ever got...... but they do have some awesome power and torque if you arent worried about fuel milage... but my dad was looking at new trucks and he was looking at a 2008 fully loaded 3500 dodge diesel with that blue tech and he spun the truck around a corner........ if that gives you an idea of all the power they have. but none of my family or friends have one ton chevy's or fords. but i work out of a 2007 f-350 utility bed and it does have alot of power but it really sucks the fuel.. but i still like the dodges alot better.....