1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community on the Franchising Forum.

Dismiss Notice

Best hedge trimmer?

Discussion in 'Landscape Maintenance' started by southgagrass, Aug 22, 2011.

1. southgagrass

southgagrass LawnSite Member

What do you guys think the best hedge trimmer is and why? I have a Stihl but just not overly impressed with it. Have been told by alot of people that Shindiawa and Redmax are the way to go. Just looking for your opinions. Thanks.

2. Alan0354

Alan0354 LawnSite Platinum Member

Shindaiwa seems to be going down hill. I have to say all commercial brands are very close. I own an Echo, Shindaiwa and Maruyama. I think I would give an edge to Maruyama. I have the HT2321DLR, The gear box design is good, the blades seems to cut a little better than the other two. I got it online for $389 which is like $70 to $80 cheaper than if you buy in the dealer and compare to the other brands.

3. BlackCloudDiesel

BlackCloudDiesel LawnSite Member

I would also agree and say that Shindaiwa has gone hill since bought by Echo. Maruyama is the way to go! I've run several over the years, and won't look to anyone else for a hedge trimmer! They are comfortable and dependable, even after continuous daily use. HT2321DR are what I use. The 5 position handle, and very clean cut make Maruyama the breed above the best, for me!

4. Alan0354

It is very easy to start, two pull start always and not much warmup. It is surprisingly quiet.

5. southgagrass

southgagrass LawnSite Member

what about tanaka they seem to be strong and light

6. Alan0354

Tanaka gearbox is nowhere close to the design of the Maruyama. Maruyama has two ball bearing for each gear one on each side and it has roller bearing on the connecting rod. Tanaka has very few ball bearing and no roller bearing on the connecting rod.

Because of that, Tanaka is a lighter which is important. Both Tanaka and Stihl have the fewest bearings, therefore are the lightest. So it all depend on which is more important.

7. HLM HustlerZ

HLM HustlerZ LawnSite Member

I'd go with the Redmax handheld hedge trimmer unit. I just recently bought the CHTZ2460 redmax that's very powerful and seems to cut a lot better for the equal Stihl product.

8. LandscaperPro

LandscaperPro Sponsor

I've been selling Tanaka Parts for years and have never sold a gearbox for a Tanaka Hedge Trimmer. We sell the very popular THT2000 20" blade for $290, $10 shipping. If anyone wants to just check it out, here's a link.

http://www.landscaperpro.com/hedgetrimmers.aspx

Thanks,
    Blake
    LandscaperPro

9. bobcat48

bobcat48 LawnSite Gold Member

Echo,redmax,kawaski and husqvarna for hedge trimmers i'd say.

10. troyota71

troyota71 LawnSite Member
    from ontario

I have 6 of the STIHL HL-100's with the 0 to 135 degree head on them and I run them 12hrs a day and NEVER have had a problem ! Now the 0 to 90 degree head that Stihl used to make was junk and would strip out. The new style are dam good. I tried very hard to blow up a gear box,but it wouldn't !!!!!! I also have the 81T and the ?45 and they are good and strong. I blew up 3 Echo gear boxes in one summer and I even snapped the curled part of the bar that is in side the gear box. The 0 to 135 is the way to go as the have such a nice balance and aren't to heavy ( NOTE: Once you get used to it )

Troy.