best hedge trimmers for a chic????

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by mower_babe, Sep 21, 2003.

1. mower_babe

mower_babe LawnSite Senior Member

Hi. Today decided to trim my hedges because they were starting to look really scary - you know ours is the last to get done - and when I get everything ready to trim--the trimmers lock up and well, got the other pair and they are messed up too. Yes, I had the extension cord plugged in - before you start with that - the hedge trimmers have served me well and it is time for new ones.

I use the electric, because they seem to be lighter, which of course is easier for me to use. The cord thing is a total pita, I cannot count how many cords I have cut through over the past 5 yrs. Thought about getting an hedge trimmmer extension thingy for my echo split boom, but I still will need a good hedge trimmer.

??????????MY question is - what is a good brand of electric or LIGHTWEIGHT gas ( which would be better ) hedge trimmer and if you have an approximate price??????????????

Thanks for any help. ;)
  2. dvmcmrhp52

dvmcmrhp52 LawnSite Platinum Member
    from Pa.

Only you can answer the question of what works for you.
    Go to dealers and check out as many quality trimmers as you can.
    The weight issue can only be answered by you.
    As for price you are looking at 250.00-350.00 for good quality.
  3. KenH

KenH LawnSite Bronze Member
    from CT

Might be something to think about.....the company which makes the small Mantis tiller, makes an attachment for hedges. A customer of mine has was extremely light, although that is all I know about them.
  4. GroundKprs

GroundKprs LawnSite Bronze Member

Go to the Louisville Expo, and try all the commercial brands of gas and electric. Best place to make real comparisons, and you'll never find so many brands in three or four mower shops. If you find one that is especially good for you, they will tell you who dealers are in your area. I have to go 20 miles for my Shindiawa tools and parts, but the fit and function (to me) of these machines is well worth it.

And decent gas hedge trimmers will get you done in about 1/4 the time it takes with standard electrics. I think Little Wonder still has an electric if the weight is a major concern.
  5. mower_babe

mower_babe LawnSite Senior Member

I will be probably going to the GIE in St Louis. And yes, weight is the primary concern - but if I could find a gas trimmer that wasnt overly heavy I would definitely be happier than with electric.
  6. mike9497

mike9497 LawnSite Senior Member

the res echo trimmer is very light maybe 8 or 9 lbs
  7. BobR

BobR LawnSite Senior Member

MOWER-BABE -- Try the Echo SHC-210, it is a medium length shaft trimmer that is held and controlled with both hands comfortably (good balance), it is a lot heavier than an electric but the balance and ease of use should make you forget that. No pesky cords.

J D CRUSTA LawnSite Member

I've trimmed a lot of hedges with an electric Little Wonder that was built in the 70's (or early 80's) No problems. (still runs fine, no repairs) I keep the cord slung over my shoulder so I don't risk cutting it. I always figured hedge trimming a cord was asking for a shock.
  9. Team Gopher

Team Gopher LawnSite Platinum Member
    from -

Hi Mowerbabe,

Here is the lightest weight gas trimmer I could find. Just to give you something to compare and contrast with.

Antivibration yes
    Blade Length 22 in.
    Engine 21 cc, 2 cycle
    Fuel Type gas-oil mix
    Lock Switch yes
    See-Through Fuel Tank yes
    Weight 9.6 lbs.
  10. double e

double e LawnSite Member

We have 3 ECHOS- their lightwieght and very durible-
    I wouldn't even mess with the electric hedge trimmers- you'll save so much time