1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Best Hedge Trimmers?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by baldbeefman, May 29, 2001.

1. baldbeefman

baldbeefman LawnSite Member

I was going to buy Stihl. The trimmer that you can put all the different attatchments on. Then, someone told me those arn't as good as the dedicated stick edgers or regular edgers. So what do you guys think?
  2. 65hoss

65hoss LawnSite Fanatic

I run the dedicated Stihl products. I did buy a hedge trimmer attachment for the FS85 and it works great. The dedicated stick edger is awesome. I have never been able to bog it down. It will cut as fast as you can walk.

3. leeslawncare

leeslawncare LawnSite Senior Member

i just got a set of reddmaxx 2200 an i like them a lot .
  4. greenisgold

greenisgold LawnSite Member

i just bought a new redmax 2200 and it is an awesome unit. very lightweight and easy to maneuver around all size bushes. i've also had 2 robins and a stihl over the years and the 2200 beats both for cleanness of cut and ease of use. redmax reccoms 32:1 fuel mix so i did add another can but no problem. i also have the stihl fs85 trimmer with the hedge trimmer and scyhte attachments and they both do a good job but i can't get as close on little stuff as i'd like, but they do overhead work and tall work very easily. hope this helps but you can't go wrong with the redmax if it's available in your area. i paid 289 for the 2200, look under redmax.com for dealers in your area.
  5. leeslawncare

leeslawncare LawnSite Senior Member

Dang.. greenisgold ..you make me feel like i got beat now .I gave 300.00 plus tax for mine ...but they are great. I got mine at a local dealer ,did you get yours on line?
  6. baldbeefman

baldbeefman LawnSite Member

Before I went out and bought a new one, I remembered my Dad has a Ryobi Pro that is a split shaft. So I went to Lowes and bought the edger and hedge trimmer attachment. The trimmer itself has been a good one for them (3 1/2 yrs old) the only trouble they have had is the pull cord handle seems to be missing the middle ring and something has fallen off the muffler making it a little louder. Anyway, first I did some edging with the trimmer. Seemed kind of weak. Then I tried the edger attachment,:angry: ouch! That thing threw all kinds of rocks into my shins (my mothers yard is rocky and has never been edged). Do the Stihl edgers spin clock wise too, so that it throws everything to the bottom and at the person using it.:confused: That sucks! If thats the case I would rather just use a weedeater turned upside down. My father also has the brushcutter attachment, I tried it for about two seconds and could tell that wasn't going to work. I'll probably (maybe) try the hedge trimmers at the first of the week before I take it all back. It was tempting with the two year warranty and all. If it breaks, just bring it back and they replace it. Well, anyway I'm kind of leaning towards a Husky now, and what about those stick edgers and push edgers? Surely the other models spin away, right?