Best in tree saw?

Discussion in 'Landscape Maintenance' started by recycledsole, Nov 11, 2012.

1. recycledsole

recycledsole LawnSite Gold Member
    from MD

By stihl?
    im choosing between the
    ms192 at $320
    or the
    ms201 at $620

the ms192 is actully lighter, but a little less powerful.
    who has experience with these saws and can tell me if its worth the almost double price tag?
    thanks alot

2. Spring Valley Lawn Service

Spring Valley Lawn Service LawnSite Member

Can the 192 be used by a left handed

3. recycledsole

from MD

i dont know

4. nickslawnltd

nickslawnltd LawnSite Member

The 192 is harder to start and is more a homeowner light use version.

The other is the pro version that pretty sums it up.

5. RSK Property Maintenance

RSK Property Maintenance LawnSite Bronze Member

I bought both saws brand new, and after about 2 months of owning the 192 i ended up selling, I used it a lot, and really noticed its lack of power. Then I went back to same dealer and bought a ms201, which is much better, but I prefer the ms200t which i bought one used for 300 and it is a noticeable amount more powerful, I use both of the saws for chipping jobs and brush clearing, so i'm actually cutting stuff that could be 10" think and it does it well, not slow enough to switch to my 440 which is a big saw. depending on what you are doing with the saw will determine which one is right for you. If you have the money though i would with the 201t but its up to you.

6. metro36

metro36 LawnSite Silver Member

I know you said stihl but I would look as Jonsered/ Husky. I have the Jonsered version of this saw. Im not a tree guy but I do an occasional tree job and lots of brush work. I like the saw for when Im up in a bucket and for limbing. Its great for quick cuts when feeding a chipper. Mine has a 14" bar and it can cut 10" hardwood without a problem. Anything bigger, I prefer a bigger saw as its more productive.

http://www.husqvarna.com/us/products/professional-chainsaws/338-xp-t/#specifications

7. RSK Property Maintenance

I do a decent amount of tree work and i say stihl is the way to go, its not the number 1 climbing saw for nothing. It is the best. I do 1-2 trees a week in the spring time now i'm doing 2-3 a month still. Not a lot but enough to warrant a two ms200 top handles, i have a 3rd but its 30 years old, runs great but doesn't have a chain brake so i don't bring it on jobs
    Posted via Mobile Device

8. recycledsole

from MD

thanks guys
    what would be a good deal from the dealer if you bought both new together
    ms201 t with 16" bar
    ms660 magnum with 36" bar
    $1901 with tax in my area retail.
    how much discount should i ask for?
    thanks

9. RSK Property Maintenance

first off i would get the ms201t with a 14" bar, and second is that a cash price, third how much business do you do with this dealer? I would try to get them down to 1800 for both out the door, but i'm not the best at bargaining with sales men either. good choices for saws. you might want to consider something such as a ms362 or ms441 in the future, something a little more mid range for cutting smaller stuff up, not that the ms660 with a 36" bar can't but long bar does get in the way when cutting bigger limbs that the 201t can't cut. but i wouldn't bother buying and switching bars on the 660 i would just pick up a 362 or 441 or look on craigslist for a good used 361 or 362 or 440 or 460 and put a 25" bar on it. should be a beast then.

10. knox gsl

knox gsl LawnSite Platinum Member

You're getting ready to drop alot of $ on something you don't seem to know much about, are you sure you need a 660 or 201? You can get smaller saws and still get some big work completed.