Best intructional reading for Irrigation install

Discussion in 'Irrigation' started by JTHutch, Aug 29, 2003.

1. JTHutch

JTHutch LawnSite Member

I've been in the Landscape/Lawn Care business for about 4 years but haven't done any irrigation. I would like to maybe try one or two and see how they go. Does any one know of a book or website that outlines an install from start to finish. More of a diagram style (I learn better from Pictures). Don't want to learn from another company due to competition and what not. Any way if anyone has some learning material that I might look up at some point let me know thanks.

2. Team Gopher

Team Gopher LawnSite Platinum Member
    from -

Hi JT,

Here is an interesting website for you.

3. JTHutch

JTHutch LawnSite Member

That site is fine but way too much reading, and doesn't help much in the field. I do have a couple hours in on a Irrigation design class trough Toro. But thanks for the site i may use it every now and again

4. herkfe

herkfe LawnSite Member

Hutch, you post a message that asks for "best instructional reading for irrigation install" and when presented with a site that offers one of the most comprehensive tutorials you shrug it off as having to much to read.

That site is one of the best out there, sure it has a lot of reading, but if you learn these priniples it will save you a lot of headaches when it comes to your actual install. How much is it worth to you not to have to return to a lawn and tear it up to replace something you missed because you didn't use a basic principle of hydraulics? Learn it righ the first time and make your installs the ones that work right and do their job completely.

Remember the seven P's....Proper Prior Planning Prevents Piss Poor Performance.

Just my opion....

5. All American Lawn

All American Lawn LawnSite Member

You can get basic knowledge from a book, but you really need to help somebody do a few or possibly do one for a friend or even your own......There is alot more to it than just reading a book....i am not saying that you can't do one....just be careful and know what you are doing before you attempt this.....

6. JTHutch

JTHutch LawnSite Member

Yes, thanks for the info. I have put one in with my dad but I know he cut corners and didn't do it right. Even though I was trying to get him to do it right. Any way I wouldn't do it with out practicing on one first like my own (or redoing my parents it's not working right now go figure). It's just something I've been toying with and haven't decided wheather or not to do it. I have the basic knowledge but need to know the legal and codes for the area and I think I can find those at my supplier.

7. brentlent

brentlent LawnSite Member

Basic knowledge is fine for working on your parents system. However, if your going to be installing systems for $, you need to know what you are doing. The first several systems I installed were designed by someone else. After doing a few, you get an understanding of how to place heads and what a well performing systems "looks" like. Without the knowledge of flow, pressure loss, etc. your really asking for trouble. The link that was given to you is great. Read it, design a system for your first project (own yard, family member etc) then have someone else do the design. Century Rain Aid, (now, John Deere Landscapes) may still do free designs if you purchase your supplies there. The head placement may need tweaking, but the pressure, flow, etc will produce a working system. Compare the difference and ask questions.

My first install was at my house. 14 zones. This was seven years ago and the only fixes have been nozzles, 1 diaphragm on a valve and a couple of spray heads that I hit with the aerator. Since installing that system I now do things a little differently and have learned trick to save time and money. However, the system works great. General knowledge may not produce the same results.

For Example: I've been asked to help friends troubleshoot their systems. Seemingly small problems, (like not enough coverage in one area), are usually bad design issues and not easily fixed. Bad systems are most likely the result of someone trying to save $ or lack of knowledge. Since you already do lawn maintenance, etc. take your time and learn how to install and design the right way. Provide great customer service and then don't compete solely on price. OR, don't take anyone's advice, make mistakes along the way, and have a questionable or non existent reference list.

8. JimLewis

JimLewis LawnSite Fanatic

I agree with Team Gopher. The Jess Stryker website is the best resource available in regards to irrigation systems - barnone. It's too bad you're not open minded to taking the time to read it. It's well worth the time.

9. turfman59

turfman59 LawnSite Senior Member

Certified Irrigation Contractor study guide materials, available at the Irrigation Association web site. Best in my opinion BARNONE

10. J Hisch

J Hisch LawnSite Senior Member

JT, What I did was get lucky. I found a man who was an Irrigation installer who turned plumber. while he is still in plumbing school we contract him to help us with our irrigations. You might just put a ad in paper looking for irriation person part-time. then when you have the jobs you can charge enough to cover him/or her then they can teach you what they know. I pay joe well and he has taught us alot.