BEST IRON out there

Discussion in 'Fertilizer Application' started by officerturner, May 13, 2014.

1. PicturePerfectLawns

PicturePerfectLawns LawnSite Gold Member

Hissing Cobra, would you happen to know the price on the Chleated Iron at your location considering you sound like you work at JDL?

2. PicturePerfectLawns

Also a side question, I'd love to hear from Green Doc on a Chleated Iron question. I've always heard 7 to 10 oz per k for a dark green on the Chleated, is this high volume or low volume? Is the 7-10 ounces mixed with a gallon or five or more?

3. officerturner

officerturner LawnSite Member

Milorganite has 4% iron. Its done well for me as well
    Posted via Mobile Device

4. greendoctor

greendoctor LawnSite Fanatic

Which one and what is the manufacturer's label rate? Too much iron will turn grass black, then straw brown. I stick to label rates on the chelates. I can get in real trouble with ferrous sulfate if the solution is too concentrated. 2 oz per 1000 if it is a true foliar applied at 1 gallon per 1000. If I am applying a soil drench with the intention of altering soil chemistry, it goes up to 1 lb per 1000 in 10 gallons.

5. bug-guy

bug-guy LawnSite Senior Member

greendoctor I just had a friend tell me that when he gets to the end of his tank his solution is rust red(he use iron sulfat) this citric acid is that a liq or soluble power. will it effect pH

6. RyanLeo

RyanLeo LawnSite Member
    from Florida

Company I work for is using the 12-0-0 chelated iron at 6oz per k. Putting down 5gal per k.
    Posted via Mobile Device

7. PicturePerfectLawns

Ryan, do you have any pics. or could you shed some light on the color your getting from it? Five gallons per k seems like high volume. It seemed like I read somewhere a smaller dose of iron, but with less water volume would be just as effective. It seems like from my understanding you would get the same results at 2-3 oz. / 2.5 gallons. Right or wrong?

8. RyanLeo

RyanLeo LawnSite Member
    from Florida

Idk how to post pictures from my phone or I would show you the recommendations. It says apply 6 to 9oz per k in sufficient water through coverage usually 3 to 5 gallons per thousand square feet.
    Posted via Mobile Device

9. PicturePerfectLawns

Ryan, are ya'l seeing good results with the color in the way ya'll are using it? I've been noticing all the neighborhood offices have the deepest green around here. I came to conclusion this is their secret is the liquid apps of iron. I'd like to find a good number scheme that works best. I would love to hear about the results in the color change ya'll are receiving at these rates.

10. RyanLeo

RyanLeo LawnSite Member
    from Florida

Very happy with the results. I would be lying if I said all the lawns I spray looked the best around but the ones that are properly watered and cut look awesome. Deep green and color last between apps.
    Posted via Mobile Device