best jobs to advertising for spring

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by G&Plawn, Nov 20, 2003.

1. G&Plawn

G&Plawn LawnSite Member

hi iam a new LCO and would appreciate any preperation for spring. i did a few jobs over the past summer and would like to continu to grow my business while i attend school. I was wondering what kind of experience people have been haveing with the free local papers and door hangers specifically. i also would like to know about the best start up equipment a person sould have right know i am at the very beginnings with 3 21 in toro mowers a echo string line trimmer and a hand full of hand tools and misc equipment. I would like to get a 36 in plus powered walk behind with a sulky and a trailer to begin with but any suggestions would be appreciated.

2. lawnman_scott

lawnman_scott LawnSite Fanatic

I would advertize in small local papers, its not that expensive to do if your on a budget. And i would look for a good used walk behind.

3. fivestarlawnken

fivestarlawnken LawnSite Senior Member

Start small,re-invest any profit and look for good used equip. Used is out there just look over and dont pay a ton of money for an abUSED piece of equip. Start with a small group of cust. then within a few years you will turn down work.:p

4. local papers and hit your target areas with flyers or doorhangers ..they get good results for me.
    The suggestion for a walkbehind id need a little more info ...like how big your average lawn is etc ....and like mentioned above good used walk's can be found.

5. cutpro2004

cutpro2004 LawnSite Member

hello this is first post, was looking to get advice on how to charge residential and comercial. is there a good rule of thumb to go by
    i cut a few yards this year but am gearing up for 2004 plan on going at it hard. i want to eventually do this full time. also what would be some good start up equip to buy. as much info as i can get would be appreciated as far as insurance, pricing, equp, etc
    also one special question how do you guys charge for leaf clean up i did a big job for about 15$ hour about 3 days work got 360$ i appreciate the help i love this site just found out about it man iv been missing out!