Best Landscape Book

Discussion in 'Landscape Architecture and Design' started by rookie03, Oct 11, 2004.

1. rookie03

rookie03 LawnSite Member
    from OK

What's the best landscape or lawn care book out there for those starting a new business?

2. drsogr

drsogr LawnSite Bronze Member

Every question you could possible have, can be answered on this site! Its amazing. I have heard of some pretty good books, but have yet to buy one. Are you looking more into the landscaping side or the lawn care side. As far as books are concerned your better books are not going to have both.

3. Mats

Mats LawnSite Bronze Member

4. GardenofWeeden

GardenofWeeden LawnSite Member

I bought the RS Means Book to Landscape Estimating. It's detailed and a bit of a read, but it helps justify contracts with contingencies I didn't forecast.
    Amazon has it for $20 cheaper than other outlets.
    RS Means Landscape Estimating Methods.

5. Coffeecraver

Coffeecraver LawnSite Senior Member
    from VA.

6. rookie03

rookie03 LawnSite Member
    from OK

Thanks guys! Any books that teach you step by step basic landscape construction?

7. Four C. Landscaping

Four C. Landscaping LawnSite Member

Over the years I have found that there is no one book that has it all.Business questions,rose bush questions,when to plant,when not to plant,Insects,weeds,retaining walls etc....The best thing that I have found is to carry several books with you in the truck.I use a leather briefcase that holds several books so you are carrying a lot of info at all times.I think that the info that I carry will be much more specific to the issue than a one book fits all would be. payup

8. jimmyq

jimmyq LawnSite Member

ALCA has two good books available, one for installation and one for maintenance, they use them as reference in the CHT, CLP and other programs I beleive.

9. rookie03

rookie03 LawnSite Member
    from OK

Thanks for the posts. I'll be checking out all the books this winter. I've never really done any big time landscaping. Just wanting some books to teach the basic step by step procedures for installation and maintenance. I'm going to check out all the books that all of you have mentioned. Thanks.

10. activelandscaping

activelandscaping LawnSite Member

I think your best bet, initially, would be to concentrate on plant ID and plant cultural requirements.
    Dirr's " Manual of Woody Landscape Plants " is indispensable. Learn both the scientific and common names, for plant material in your area. Scientific names help when purchasing stock and look good on a design spec.
    Customers will often ask " what is this " and it increases their confidence in you when you have the answer. :)

Best of luck,
    Active