1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

best lawn I have had in years but...

Discussion in 'Homeowner Assistance Forum' started by weekendDIY, Jun 15, 2005.

1. weekendDIY

weekendDIY LawnSite Member
    from NJ

this year I am noticing alot of brown blades in the lawn. When I inspected the blades closer I noticed they were mostly round thick blades that were on the tough side. Almost like a "tube" I think.

What are these things?

I live in NJ

2. DLS1

DLS1 LawnSite Bronze Member

Need to post some pictures. Would be guessing without pictures.
  3. weekendDIY

from NJ

I figured the pictures would have helped. I also notice alot of brown at the ground level.

Tough to get a decent photo of what I see but.....

4. Critical Care

Critical Care LawnSite Bronze Member

What this looks like is the stoloniferous part of the grass, as far as I can tell from the pictures. Certain types of grass are noted to produce these "runners", and you will find that with some types of turf you have to cut the grass rather short or else these stolons will appear like this. Some bentgrass lawns can look great, but if not cut short the turf can get straw colored and rough from these stolons.

Did I see moss in the first picture? Regulate your watering, less often, but longer cycles. You may also want to dethatch your lawn.
  5. scout_pete

scout_pete LawnSite Member

Looks like normal fescue (?) in the Mid-atlantic after an early heat spell to me. How new is the lawn?
  6. weekendDIY

from NJ

Critical care - I think it might be a little bit of moss there. I have my sprinkers running every other day for 20 minutes a zone. Is that too much? We have had a decent amount of rain recently here in NJ

Are you saying that this is something I have to live with? I cut the grass at 2.5 inches and it does show up more after a cutting. I have Scotts Lawn service doing my fert but not to sure about them yet.

scout_pete - I live in NJ and it hasn't been that hot yet
  7. Critical Care

Critical Care LawnSite Bronze Member

Twenty minutes every other day even for fixed spray heads shouldn't be too much, but really whether it is or not depends upon a number of factors such as shade or sun, precip rate that the sprinklers are providing, soil, and more.

Again, it's hard to tell what you have from the pictures. Is that bluegrass? Or do you have a mix of other grass in there? You may have to look real close, but check to see if those are stolons, or runners, that you see in the grass. Bluegrass produces rhizomes beneath the soil surface, other grasses such as bentgrass produce stolons along the surface.

Mowing at 2.5" is typically fine. But, there are a types and varieties of grass that are supposed to be cut short. Some of the finest bentgrass putting greens are cut very low, and if not, the grass can begin to look unsightly because of the stolons which will tend to "crown".

Before jumping to any conclusions, I think we should find out what you have there.
  8. scout_pete

scout_pete LawnSite Member

DIY--The entire Mid-atlantic has had record heat up until this last Saturday. Where-u-at that that you avoided the nineties for the last week, or so? People dying in Philly; handing out box fans at community centers... Your lawn looks just like everybody elses around here. If that's fescue, which it appears to be, those discarded leaves and stolons are normal for the weather trend...and for fescue in summer in the area. BTW, you should consider cutting at aroun 3" if it is fescue. It will hold up to the summer heat better.
  9. dvmcmrhp52

dvmcmrhp52 LawnSite Platinum Member
    from Pa.

I agree with cutting at 3 - 3 1/4 inches (3 /14 preferably)..............it does look like a fescue lawn and 2 1/2 inches is too short for making a fescue lawn look good or keep it healthy and weed free.

Yes, I know, I know, someone WILL disagree..............
  10. weekendDIY

from NJ

We might have had 1 or 2 days in the low 90s nothing more. I am in central NJ.

I will raise it up to 3 inches with the next cut and see what happens. Thanks to everybody for the info