Best Leaf Blower for a Homeowner

Discussion in 'Homeowner Assistance Forum' started by rjg2, Jan 9, 2008.

1. rjg2

rjg2 LawnSite Member

Hello All,

I am currently looking for a hand held leaf blower that will be used for leaves, grass removal and other occasions. I would like to spend under $200.00. Is there a good model from a company that will last for longer than 3 years at that price? Thanks for any information!

2. lawnjockey56

lawnjockey56 LawnSite Member

the echo BG55

3. Jay Ray

Jay Ray LawnSite Fanatic

Stihl also has a BG55. Paid $139 and change on sale for mine. It has a 2 yr. warranty for homeowner use, 1 yr. commercial. I use it when there is light work to do, or sometimes use the BG55 and the BR600 backpack at the same time two-handed for heavy work. Really like the BG55 much better than the Poulan hand held I still have.

Bought the Stihl BG55 when the Poulan was performing poorly and didn't have the time to diagnose it. Turned out that the jug had worked slightly loose on the Poulan but when tightened down it was okay. The Poulan was never near as good as a BG55 however.

4. lawnjockey56

lawnjockey56 LawnSite Member

oops i mean stihl lol ty

5. fritowrdo

fritowrdo LawnSite Fanatic

Echo PB251

Been a great hand help blower for me, was under 160 and has a 5 year home owner warranty.

Starts on the 2nd pull when cold started no matter what.

6. KS_Grasscutter

KS_Grasscutter LawnSite Gold Member

I am never gonna buy another Stihl blower because they seem to NEVER start when they have been in the heat or sun for any time at all. Thinking about buying a Redmax, see how those work.

7. LarryF

LarryF LawnSite Bronze Member

I have a Redmax HBZ2601 that has always started with one or two pulls even if I haven't used it for a month or two, so I'm pretty happy with it. But I doubt if you can find one for $200 of less.

8. rjg2

rjg2 LawnSite Member

Yes I like the Sthils and Echos. I've read that a person should opt for a commercial grade blower though. But I can't see paying the money for something I won't use every day.

9. Jay Ray

Jay Ray LawnSite Fanatic

I really think the Stihl BG55 on sale for 139 is a bargain. I don't know what the everyday list price is. My BR600 is a little tricky to start in high humidity with high heat, but the BG55 is easy to start. It will not move leaves like a high volume backpack, but it is better than the Poulan.

10. thecompletehome

thecompletehome LawnSite Member

The new Kawasaki handheld blower is the way to go. It is about $220, but it is quiet and very powerful. In 2008 Kawasaki now has I believe a 5-year warranty for consumer purchases on their handheld equipment.