Best leaf loader out there is...

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by nobagger, Nov 20, 2006.

1. nobagger

nobagger LawnSite Gold Member
    from Pa

I am in the market for a leaf loader next year, I only have 2 more clean ups to do so there is no point in buying one now. Like I said in an earlier post, I am using a friend of mine and he is running a 13hp Honda Billy Goat. It would occationally plug but usually with a swift jerk of the hose it would free itself up. I was looking into a Billy Goat with a 18hp Briggs (possibly). I don't have a lot of experience with loaders so I was hoping the guys who do would fill me in. If I get the 18hp is there less chance of plugging or just getting bigger plugs? Thanks in advance.

2. seacoastlandscape

seacoastlandscape LawnSite Member

bigger the better! I just upgraded from an 11hp billy goat to a 16 giant vac skid mount. It is certainly a noticeable difference especially with wet leaves. Haven't had any bad clogs compared to the 11 but the seasons not over. My opinion go with at least 20 hp. The difference is amazing 10 to a 12 inch tube and man will it suck some leaves.

3. GLADULANDSCPING

GLADULANDSCPING LawnSite Member

No need for a second man, blow it right to the hose, and machne sux it up better than any i ever had!! It has so much power, i thought i would blow a hole in my crappy leaf box!!

4. Prestige-Lawncare

Prestige-Lawncare LawnSite Senior Member

Ballpark figure ... what does the Giant Vac sell for?

5. GLADULANDSCPING

GLADULANDSCPING LawnSite Member

6000 bux, well worth the money. it is a tow behind.

6. Dnemo

Dnemo LawnSite Member

Parker makes a 24hp Honda GX powered unit that you can mount on a tailgate or buy a optional hitch mount attachment. It retails for around $4500. Parker makes some of the best equipment out there.

7. crzymow

crzymow LawnSite Senior Member
    from Pa

id like a tow behind just for the ease of unhooking it. although with my tailgait mount, i can easily back up a driveway and get leave from a back yard without hauling to the curb.

8. AL Inc

AL Inc LawnSite Bronze Member

Keep your eyes open for used machines. I bought my Giant Vac tow-behind in 1999 for $2,900 from a guy who was going out of business. The thing was practically new, with a 20 hp Kohler. There are times when even this machine will clog, especially with wet leaves and lots of sticks. It is usually right at the intake, right in front of the impeller. Usually if you shake the tube, it will free itself, there have been a few times where we had to take the tube off. I would say if you are going the truck mounted route, go with at least the 16, the 18 would be better. But unless you are running some of the larger, municipal type loaders that some guys here have, you have to keep an eye on what you are feeding in. The biggest problem we have had is fires, last year the guys melted the battery cables pretty good, and this year I noticed the battery is melted a bit:hammerhead: Got to make sure you keep loader clean as you are working.

9. nobagger

nobagger LawnSite Gold Member
    from Pa

Well the Parker was a little too exspensive for us,(well over 4k) I also was looking at a Billy Goat with a 18hp Briggs. The price my dealer told me was high 2's to low 3's, but I wouldn't mind finding a nice used one for half the price I have a long time to look.

10. Uranus

Uranus LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Mass

I bought the little wonder 22hp kohler leaf loader this year and oh my god. If you put you foot next to it, it takes all you have to free yourself from the suction. Never clogs, except when sucking up leaves with alot of sticks in the pile. I mounted mine on my trailer just behind the cage. It goes up and over the cage and into the truck. $4600. plus tax. 12 inch tubes in and out. Great machine, 25 hp giant vac is also a good machine too.