1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

best leaf plow i ever had

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by mike9497, Nov 10, 2003.

1. mike9497

mike9497 LawnSite Senior Member

well today i did a 3 acre lot filed with leaves.well one of my BP blowers died and we only had a baby echo 4600 and a 3 wheel LW.well the piles we were blowing were 4+ ft and we were know where near the truck loader.so we took a break to figure out what we were going to do.then i came up with the best leaf plow idea ever.i didn't make or buy anything except for this last May...LOL

i found by having the UV blower hanging on the side of the deck it helps collect the leaves.i set the deck down to 2 inches and drove into the piles moving them right next to the truck loader.worked great the best 8499.99 i ever spent....LOL

im000166 (2).jpg
  2. BSDeality

BSDeality LawnSite Silver Member

i use my gravely the same way, drop the deck to 1" and push them, I've been thinking of making a real plow, i tend to loose the leaves over the grass. It works really well when they're wet on pavement though.
  3. John Gamba

John Gamba LawnSite Fanatic
    from ct

Did the same today mike!!, You got to love them!

4. G-father

G-father LawnSite Member

I did the same thing yesterday!!!

I was too lazy to get off my TT and use my walk behind with the plow so I just drove into the piles with the rider.
  5. mike9497

mike9497 LawnSite Senior Member

ill tell yah today was the day from hell with equipment breaking,but pushing the piles was alot of fun lol.it put me in a better mood for the rest of the day lol.
  6. Rich's Lawn Care

Rich's Lawn Care LawnSite Senior Member

Thanks Mike! I tryed it today and it work's good.
  7. beck

beck LawnSite Senior Member

just double check to make sure all of the leaves are out from under the deck if you are going to be engaging the blades. I actually broke a belt today because of it.
  8. dvmcmrhp52

dvmcmrhp52 LawnSite Platinum Member
    from Pa.

I Was thinking about your post yesterday as I watched my brother do just that. Got me to smiling.
  9. rob1325

rob1325 LawnSite Senior Member

Been doing it for years (used to use my walk behind before there were riders). The only thing you need to watch out for is stumps, pipes, & other things sticking out that you can't see, so you don't get banged up or mess up your machine. Also, like others said blow off deck before engaging blades.
  10. G-father

G-father LawnSite Member

Beck - you broke a belt? If your belts were relatively new I'd say youÂ’re engaging the blades with too much power. It should have stalled the engine.