1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Best Lessons Learned

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Mike M, Apr 6, 2008.

1. Mike M

Mike M LawnSite Bronze Member
    from usa

I am going to mention something I learned the hard way, but would love to see others!

This year I calculated the total cuts for the season, multiplied by how much per cut I wanted (a few models for a few sizes), added cost to fert the whole season, lime, soil test, and monitor/adjust sprinklers, and then divided that total number by 7 months.

I sat at my kitchen table and had 7 sheets of labels, each sheet had my address and then the particular month, e.g., Attn: April Lawn Care. I have these in little stacks for each customer, with a refrigerator magnet business card clipped to the stack. "Staples" has the magnets with an adhesive on the back to attach your card.

I got sick of trying to sell each "add-on" as they came up, so I totaled any of that, also, such as hedges, mulch, fertilizer, etc. Plus, having to mail a different bill each month for that month's total cuts & service.

Now, with my pre-addressed monthly envelope they will know if they paid for a given month, they will know how much the amount is for without a monthly bill, and their property looks great because I do everything I know it will need.

To pull this off, I got away from mow-n-blow. I absolutely can't wait to do these lawns this year!
  2. LwnmwrMan22

LwnmwrMan22 LawnSite Platinum Member

THAT'S how to make money.