Best light for flag

Discussion in 'Landscape Lighting' started by carcrz, Jul 5, 2007.

1. carcrz

carcrz LawnSite Silver Member

I just bought a new house & it has a flagpole. I want to light the flag so I don't need to take it down at night. You think I should go ahead & light everything now or is there a way to use quality stuff to do just the pole? Here's some pics:

House 1.JPG

2. carcrz

Some more pics of the rest of the house.

House 2.JPG

House 3.JPG

House5.JPG

House 4.JPG

3. Pro-Scapes

Pro-Scapes LawnSite Platinum Member

http://www.lawnsite.com/search.php?searchid=1934615 is a link to some previous discussions on this topic.

Yours however will call for a bit different approach due to the proximity of the lightly colored home. Are you ready to light the entire home now ? This is going to affect how you would go about it.

I would recommend since you plan to do this yourself and only you can say how you want it done is to pick up at least 3 lights and some 20 and 35w bulbs. Some Kichler bullets would blend well here.

You should be able to run the 3 bullets in a semi triangluar form to cover that whole flag. even if you used a 35 on the frontside and then 2 lights at 20w on the rear lighting the home and flag at the same time. ... Drop a hub in around that bed then you can easily add pathlighting at a later date.

If your budget only allows you to light the flag now do your best to install an oversized trans so you can light the rest of the home later. Consider tying in thoes lantern lights on the garage into your low voltage switching system via upb or x10 and make them dimmable..... if it were my home i would also yank thoes lights down and install up and down scones to eliminate the glare.

Hope this helps some.

I been stuck inside all week due to weather. Jobsites are like soup and waiting for some hardscapes to go in.

4. David Gretzmier

David Gretzmier LawnSite Gold Member

pro-scapes is on the money- find yourself a local low voltage lighting distributor, they usually are listed under irrigation suppliers. Look at their trasnformers and buy a 300, or a 600 watt if you plan to light your front and back of home in the future. They'll also probably have some 12 guage LV wire, although probably a 500 or 1000 ft spool, more than you need for just your flag. Stay away from malibu at home depot and lowes, , those fixtures and transformers will die quickly. but you may find and use their 12 guage LV wire, it comes in smaller lengths.

buying the lights and trans locally allows you warranty help if you have problems.

I like ushio mr-16 bulbs, but the ones at your distributor should be ok, for the flag you probably want an exn, or extra narrow spot, 20 or 35 watt. a 12 degree mr-16 is similar.

5. Chris J

Chris J LawnSite Silver Member

Don't want to ruffle any feathers here, but why would do you guys think it is necessary to light this flag from multiple angles? There is only one point of view from the street, so one 35w FMW placed in front should work just fine. By the way, an EXN is a 50w flood. Don't know if that was a mis-print or not.

6. carcrz

I have read a ton of info in the lighting & irrigation sections lately, it's just so much to take in sometimes it helps to ask in my own words. Don't worry, no Home Depot for me. I have learned that from a lot of reading on here and personal experience. It'd be like me buying chemicals at the hardware store. You get what you pay for. I'm sure there are quite a few suppliers around here, I just need to find them. I'm guessing the same companies that do the Holiday Lighting will have what I need? There's probably a dozen suppliers that I can think of for that.

7. Pro-Scapes

Pro-Scapes LawnSite Platinum Member

well you can look at it this way... the flag is NOT stationary and will blow this way or that way depending on the wind and since he had mentioned lighting the home possibly and I was giving my suggestion based on that.

Chris is right tho... a single FMW 35w 36 degree would cetainly dust that flag but there will be shadows on it depending on what way its blowing.

Sorry for wanting to ensure the symbol of my country and freedom are well lit. I still feel a minimum of 2 lights would be better but Chris does have more experience. THis is where your own personal taste will come in and you should experiment.

8. David Gretzmier

David Gretzmier LawnSite Gold Member

most flags seem to be very highly lit. I think of soft light on plants, brighter light on the flag- It may be an opinion thing. I'm open to being wrong on that. as I was wrong on the exn spot- my mistake. good catch.

9. Chris J

Chris J LawnSite Silver Member

I don't think either of these options would be a "wrong" choice. It is just opinion and personal taste. I was just curious about others personal point of view.
    My personal feeling about lighting anything is to incorporate a certain amount of shadows. I feel it gives the object more character and appeal, even flags. Whatever option you choose, you can't go wrong as long as you have the proper voltage and wattage. Good luck.

10. extlights

extlights LawnSite Senior Member

Here's my take. It all depends on what you are going to do. If you light just the flag pole now, you could do maybe 2 bullets. However because the flag pole is so close to the home you will most likely get a little light and shadows from the flag and pole on the second story of your home.
    You could do one well light and angle it more upwards and try to eliminate this problem.

Secondly, if you are going to light your home at the same time, I'd definately use just one 35W flood on the flag and keep it soft. Because of the placement of that flag, you wouldn't want the flag so bright that it would take away from your home. Remember, your eye will always focus on the brightest point. So if you light your home and flag, you wouldn't want the flag so bright that you wouldn't notice the lighting on your home. It would all just blend in and you would loose the character that lighting can bring.