Best lightweight String Trimmer

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by lawns Etc, Jul 21, 2009.

1. lawns Etc

lawns Etc LawnSite Silver Member

My wife has started going along to do some of the trimming and I am looking to get her a lightweight trimmer. My local dealers have Tanaka,Husky,Stihl,Redmax and Echo. I currently have 3 FS80-85s and they are pretty heavy for her any recomendations? I have ran Tanaka,Echo and Stihl but they have all been heavier than she would like.

2. RTR Landscaping

RTR Landscaping LawnSite Senior Member

Get her a Redmax TR2301s trimmer. It only weighs 9 lbs and carries a one year commercial warranty. I'm pretty much a Stihl FS80 guy too, but my dealer sells both lines and really likes this Redmax for a lightweight unit.

3. JMiller08

JMiller08 LawnSite Senior Member

I run an Echo SRM-210 and i think its considerably light compared to some others out there.

4. lawnboy dan

lawnboy dan LawnSite Gold Member

i use the huskys and have had great luck for 3 seasons

5. 4.3mudder

4.3mudder LawnSite Silver Member

Any of the Stihl curved shafts would be fine. Easy start version. I have had people tell me they don't like the home owner units due to strong compression. The ladies can't turn them over.

6. lawnpro724

lawnpro724 LawnSite Silver Member

I have used many string trimmers over the years and all have been good, some better than others but all ran good. If your looking for a lightweight, quality built trimmer with plenty of power try Tanaka. I have used other brands of trimmers and liked most of them but when it comes down to weight and power I think Tanaka wins hands down.

7. DoWhatYouDo91

DoWhatYouDo91 LawnSite Member

the new redmax is probably the lightest ive used yet, i believe its the one mentioned above.

8. kaferhaus

kaferhaus LawnSite Bronze Member

put a strap on it and tell her to "man up". All of these trimmers are within a few ounces of each other... it isn't going to matter.

9. The mayor

The mayor LawnSite Senior Member

I agree. great light trimmer

10. 93Chevy

93Chevy LawnSite Fanatic

Homelite's are pretty light.

Or so I hear...