Best line for TBC-230

Discussion in 'Tanaka' started by bigmo66, Aug 4, 2007.

1. bigmo66

bigmo66 LawnSite Member

I just replaced a 9 year old Ryobi 725R that just won't die! The clutch is shot, but it starts with a couple pulls and still runs great. I'll keep it for the edger attachment, but it's time to move on with a new trimmer. I am tired of coming in with numb arms, tingling hands and a sore back.

I picked up a TBC-230 and want to make sure I treat it well. I'm pretty sure using bullet proof 105 line in my Ryobi didn't help the clutch. I pretty much trim grass and small weeds and just want to make sure I don't abuse the Tanaka. The .095 string will never damage it right? Is there a particular string to use or avoid? This trimmer won out by a hair against a comparable RedMax and I look forward to many years of service. You can barely feel these running which is a welcome change.

Thanks

2. Tanaka

Tanaka Inactive

Hi,
    .095" is fine - that is the line diameter that comes standard in the 5" head.

BTW - What put the 230 over the top vs. the Redmax?

-MW

3. bigmo66

bigmo66 LawnSite Member

It wasn't an easy choice as both seem to be very high quality Japanese products. Both have great engines. The particular RedMax I looked at didn't have a catalytic converter which some say gives it a bit of a performance edge? The Tanaka felt better in my hands, a bit more balanced. My local dealer also says the parts come in a little quicker if needed. This forum actually helped make my decision also. :)

Are the Tanaka engines comparable to the Zenoahs?

4. Tanaka

Tanaka Inactive

Thanks. Yes, both engines are high quality, commercial grade engines.

-MW