Best low-budget solution for 1 acre lots?

Discussion in 'Starting a Lawn Care Business' started by LawnMowerMan2003, Sep 2, 2007.

1. Vikings

Vikings LawnSite Bronze Member
    from canada

Then You also have to buy a trailer and make sure your truck can pull a trailer.

I bought a 36 toro wb thinking I would go up a ramp:(:hammerhead:

though I understand that a Quick 36 isn't to dangerous going up ramps.

2. Vikings

Vikings LawnSite Bronze Member
    from canada

??? it fantastic imo. I got a 36 gear with T bar and it's just like personal pace. You can go an fast or as slow as you want and you can thread a needle with it.

(Backwards isn't so easy)

3. Jay Ray

Jay Ray LawnSite Fanatic

What Vikings said. If someone wants a pretty darned good control system and don't want to pay a lot of money, a used t-bar belt is hard to beat. And with practice you can one hand it.

4. David C.

David C. LawnSite Member

Put the word out!!! Somebody has an old Snapper rear engine 5 speed they're not usuing---simple to work on and overhaul if you need to

For years I used an old "Family Hand-Me-Down" Snapper Comet 36 inch cut ---- the smaller engines don't stand up under a lot of mowing---thus I've run through 7 or 8 engines in about 15 years of use---thats the only draw back---you use the little thing day in and day out all day long 6 days a week--and that Briggs 12 horse ain't gonna last ya!!!----but it'll be good enough to last you out the rest of this season, won't it????

5. topsites

topsites LawnSite Fanatic

5-8 year old used 48" fixed deck 15hp gear drive toro w/ velke, set you back $1000
    If it's in good shape, 45 minutes / acre or so.

Good luck.

6. LawnMowerMan2003

LawnMowerMan2003 LawnSite Senior Member

I guess I will have to research that. I've seen people with 32-36 WB's in a little Toyota truck, so I thought I could use ramps. If not, I think the ranger can pull a trailer, if it's not too heavy; it's a standard.

7. topsites

topsites LawnSite Fanatic

Ohhh you have no trailer, heh ...
    Yeah, quick 36.

8. willjones4

willjones4 LawnSite Member

Go rent you a ZTR for around $100-$150/day. Save your profits and buy yourself your own ZTR. Start small and work your way up...