1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Best lower-priced trimmer/blower???

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by A1 Grass, Oct 5, 2002.

1. A1 Grass

A1 Grass LawnSite Senior Member

Not trying to be cheap, but...

Budget demands that I purchase good, but reasonably priced trimmer and blower. Brands? Quality off-brands? Experience with....
  2. MikeLT1Z28

MikeLT1Z28 LawnSite Bronze Member

no! don't go off brand. worse comes to worse, get a hand held instead of a back pack. i like my stihl BP but i don't see why the hand helds would be of any less quality. just don't buy equipment twice. if you can find a way to afford it now, do it, leaf season is almost here (for me anyway)

as far as trimmers go, stay with a good commercial one too or it'll be worn out soon.you can usually get a shindaiwa t-230 for around $200 or a little more.
  3. StayStihl

StayStihl LawnSite Member

You can get yourself a Stihl FS 55 Trimmer for around $200.00. Now, I know that they aren't listed as a "commercial" Unit, but we used one for quite awhile, then traded up to another FS 85. Personally, for just your basic trimming, around houses, trees, etc, I don't see a thing wrong with the 55. I have just had such great luck with the 85, that's all we will ever use, but had no problems at all with the 55 unit. I agree with Mike on the blower issue. I would definately not!!! go with an off brand though, when you can get a decent buy on some name brand stuff, that's servicable by a "dealer" that means alot to me in itsself.
  4. roscioli

roscioli LawnSite Senior Member

What are you going to be blowing with it? Just clippings +dirt after edging? Or leaves? Honestly, and I hate to say it on here becuase I KNOW I am gonna get bashed, but the craftsman I had before my echo worked VERY WELL for minor blowing. I would NEVER try to blow leaves with it, but for minor stuff, it held up well and could blow well for its price/blow ratio. Don't believe the CFM's or MPH on the box though. You can get them used (returns) at sears for like $60 sometimes, otherwise up to $139. Buy 4 of them at the same price as a new commercial unit.
    As for trimmer, I would buy lower end commerical. My SRM-2100 has held up very well so far, its tough, you can drop it, toss it in the truck and all that for a while, and really keep it revved up for long periods of time without any noticable damage. I got it used so I don't know what they cost new. Actually, somebody correct me if I am wrong, but I think they might even sell these units at Home Depot now...
  5. Mr_Marc

Mr_Marc LawnSite Member

I agree with Roscioli

We/I started out with all ECHO first blower was a PB-260L I'm still using it today. Nice machine and works great. I just bought the
    PB-403 and another SRM-2100 my trimmer of choice. The SRM-2100 takes a beating everyday and they don't quit. The only thing I will tell you is DON’T buy at Home Chepo. You want service and the ECHO Company builds into the price a haggle factor. Don't pay retail...
  6. MikeLT1Z28

MikeLT1Z28 LawnSite Bronze Member

staystihl, where in western tn are you?

dealer service is another good fact that was brought up. home depot does not equal customer service, nor does sears.